cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gig1 speed

ashleycoombs205
Tuning in

We signed up as a new customer a couple months ago on the m350 package then I heard about rolling out the gig1 I decided to opt to upgrade. We received our hub 4.0 yesterday after a long wait, plugged it all in and waited and waited for it to do its thing….. After about 30 mins it was active yay. So I thought. Carried out a speed test and was shocked at how poor it was 455mbps (WiFi)so done another this time even lower 288mbps(WiFi). So I rang the technical department, the chap said he needed to activate it and call back in 5mins if your still having issues. Another 30 mins later still the same. Called back and spoken to a different tech who said that’s odd, asked me to switch the hub off and let it do its thing. Now we are getting 520mbps(eithernet) and 380mbps(WiFi). I’m not impressed, these speeds are poor for the cost and the connection isn’t stable what so ever compared to our 350 package. Wish I never upgraded.

Looking at others posts it’s a hub issue not capable to coping with the gig1 speeds ie delivering to our devices. I wanted the hub 5 when I placed my order but told I’ll get an email if I was offered one.

About my home, all my devices ie laptops, tv and games are connected via Ethernet cable and mobile phones are connected to WiFi. At the time of those speed tests on first start up no real bandwidth was used ie gaming or streaming. Just like to state this before someone suggested that as a cause for poor internet speed.

My thoughts are to cancel our gig1 internet and go back to our old 350 where it’s more stable downloading and uploading. Plus I’m £30 better off. Argh 😣 

27 REPLIES 27

Hi, yeh still the same! We still have the hub 3 as that’s not been sent back yet. Yeh I’ve raised a complaint had an email back stating the “possible causes for slow internet being mobile devices” not happy with the reply. On our previous package we had no issues slow internet speeds and also stability issues. 

@ashleycoombs205 wrote:

when I wanted to cancel my gig 1 upgrade (still within the 14day cooling off period) I was told to couldn’t go back to the original package at the same price! Very disappointed. ...Snip

Oh absolutely, yes you can! As long as you are within the cooling off period, then if you want to cancel then you are entitled to revert back to what the situation was before, ie as if the 'upgrade' never happened. If you were told this wasn't possible, then I'm afraid you were simply lied to, possibly due to poor or non-existent training for the offshore CS staff or maybe deliberate 'let's lie and get more money out of the mug customer' (not entirely sure which one is worse).

At some point someone is going to get annoyed enough to lawyer up (as my American colleagues would say) and initiate full-on legal proceedings against VM - does anyone know if there is a concept of 'punitive damages' in English law? I suspect not but this sort of thing is certainly one where it should apply.

Oh very interesting! I’m glad you’ve said this. I had a feeling it was a ploy to get more money out of me! I shall be taking my matters further with vm. I wonder if one of their team will comment on this?!

Thank you very much for your comments.

So had an engineer out today, he’s used the samknown website to check via Ethernet cable and has confirmed an issue of slow speeds and not stable. He’s put in a new hub 4 and redone the test. The hub is seeing 367mbps and basically said that’s odd! Told us to let it settle for a couple day, if it’s still an issue to give him a call on Tuesday when he’s back to work and he’ll get a senior to bench test the line… glad someone from vm has said it’s not right. I’ve just done the same test and still seeing what he was getting  this morning after a hub swap.

F81750A5-E75C-4713-AE9C-3254AFCD003E.png

ashleycoombs205
Tuning in

I’ve made a post about my upgrade from m350 to gig1 and the awful speeds the hub 4 outputs. 3 days after of the hub 4 on the gig1 plan I decided to cancel to be lied too, I was told I couldn’t go back to my original package at the same price. I’ve sent a complaint to have a email back stating a generic response basically blaming my home for interference which will cause issues reported. There has been on real person responding to my complaint and no questions have been answered.

Very upset at the lies and deceitful attitude from your customer services.

If you are within the 14 days (I believe) ‘cooling off period’, then you absolutely do have the right to revert to the original contact with all the terms intact. OK the VM offshore customer services staff (and I’ll use the term customer services in it’s loosest possible context) have outright lied been mistaken in their interpretation.

Now it actually doesn’t matter what VM claim about your internal network, just bide your time, contact VM and request a ‘deadlock letter’, they’ll probably refuse or claim that such a thing doesn’t exist, or you can only get one in months with more than 33 days in them or some other BS excuse. All good, make careful notes of all interactions with VM. After eight weeks escalate the complaint to the industry regulator CICAS, include all of the evidence, and request immediate release from contact and or restoring to your original contract terms plus a reasonable level of compensation (let’s say 75% of your fees to VM over this period in recompense for their incompetence and your inconvenience)

You absolutely will win the case.

@ashleycoombs205 wrote:

So had an engineer out today, he’s used the samknown website to check via Ethernet cable and has confirmed an issue of slow speeds and not stable. He’s put in a new hub 4 and redone the test. The hub is seeing 367mbps and basically said that’s odd! Told us to let it settle for a couple day, if it’s still an issue to give him a call on Tuesday when he’s back to work and he’ll get a senior to bench test the line… glad someone from vm has said it’s not right. I’ve just done the same test and still seeing what he was getting  this morning after a hub swap.

F81750A5-E75C-4713-AE9C-3254AFCD003E.png

Virgins infrastructure type does not need ‘time to settle’. It is how it is once it’s booted. 
To put it simply he lied to you so he could get away and move on to the next job. I suspect he did that because he noticed it’s wasn’t working correctly. 

Hi @ashleycoombs205

Thanks for getting back to us with the details. I'm really sorry to hear you have been so frustrated and disappointed with our customer service, that's not the high standard of service we aim to provide. I apologise.

I have contacted the Area Field Manager for your area to arrange for a senior engineer to complete a Bench Test so we can get to the bottom of this speed issue. I will keep you updated as soon as I receive a response 🙂

Best wishes,

Serena