cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gig1 speed

ashleycoombs205
Tuning in

We signed up as a new customer a couple months ago on the m350 package then I heard about rolling out the gig1 I decided to opt to upgrade. We received our hub 4.0 yesterday after a long wait, plugged it all in and waited and waited for it to do its thing….. After about 30 mins it was active yay. So I thought. Carried out a speed test and was shocked at how poor it was 455mbps (WiFi)so done another this time even lower 288mbps(WiFi). So I rang the technical department, the chap said he needed to activate it and call back in 5mins if your still having issues. Another 30 mins later still the same. Called back and spoken to a different tech who said that’s odd, asked me to switch the hub off and let it do its thing. Now we are getting 520mbps(eithernet) and 380mbps(WiFi). I’m not impressed, these speeds are poor for the cost and the connection isn’t stable what so ever compared to our 350 package. Wish I never upgraded.

Looking at others posts it’s a hub issue not capable to coping with the gig1 speeds ie delivering to our devices. I wanted the hub 5 when I placed my order but told I’ll get an email if I was offered one.

About my home, all my devices ie laptops, tv and games are connected via Ethernet cable and mobile phones are connected to WiFi. At the time of those speed tests on first start up no real bandwidth was used ie gaming or streaming. Just like to state this before someone suggested that as a cause for poor internet speed.

My thoughts are to cancel our gig1 internet and go back to our old 350 where it’s more stable downloading and uploading. Plus I’m £30 better off. Argh 😣 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@ashleycoombs205 wrote:

I have fttp.

Do you know how you put your PC/Laptop into safe mode (with networking)?

Another user had an issue where it turned out to be a third party service causing slow speeds through web browsers, however the actual download speed was ok.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

27 REPLIES 27

Stobbsy74
Superfast

The max speed you will ever get over wifi on a hub 4 in the real world will be 350 to 450mbps as that is the restrictions of the wifi5 of the hub4. This will be the same on any wifi5 router not just the hub4.

You should be getting at least 850 to 940 mbps via ethernet, i would say there is probably an issue on the connection be it noise or power levels.

Have you done a Sam Knows test to see what it says you are getting to the hub from Virgin? Other than that I would recommend posting your router channel upload and download info so folks can look at your line noise and power levels to see if they are in spec.

Yeh know the WiFi won’t be the best but personally feel it’s worst than the hub 3 in the way of stability. When I do a speed test it accelerates up then takes a noise dive then slowly gains speed again.

Our area is new to virgin, we was one of the first to have fttp instead of coax like most older installs, was expecting to see very near gig speed via Ethernet. Wonder if VM will extent my 14days cooling off period once it’s fixed!!! 

ps dreading the mrs moaning if the internet plays up today!

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @ashleycoombs205 

This is the link to perform the real speed test.

https://samknows.com/realspeed/ 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Will test when I get home.

Well I’ve tried your link. Hub is showing good speeds but computer it’s. I have seen just over 940mbps one minute then the next I’m getting 315mbps. Latency is pretty poor as well at roughly 13ms. Tested with a wired laptop. Been on the phone tonight with tech, they’ve sent a software update, but still exactly the same. Phones back and tried to downgrade to our previous package of 350, been told they can’t do it at it was only activated yesterday and the system needs to refresh which will take 72hrs….

@ashleycoombs205 wrote:

Well I’ve tried your link. Hub is showing good speeds but computer it’s. I have seen just over 940mbps one minute then the next I’m getting 315mbps. Latency is pretty poor as well at roughly 13ms. Tested with a wired laptop. Been on the phone tonight with tech, they’ve sent a software update, but still exactly the same. Phones back and tried to downgrade to our previous package of 350, been told they can’t do it at it was only activated yesterday and the system needs to refresh which will take 72hrs….

13ms is good for a VM connection due to the tech used. 20ms is the norm (Average) depending on if you are over coax or FTTP.

I have fttp.

@ashleycoombs205 wrote:

I have fttp.

Do you know how you put your PC/Laptop into safe mode (with networking)?

Another user had an issue where it turned out to be a third party service causing slow speeds through web browsers, however the actual download speed was ok.

Haven’t tried that. But tbh I’m just going to cancel to go back to the 350 package. It’s the inconsistency of speeds that annoy me, at an extra cost I’m not wearing it.