Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gig1 not at Gigabit Speeds and ethernet is much slower than the WiFi

BethAE
Joining in

Good afternoon all,

Issue

I have just moved to Virgin Media with a brand new install in my area and I have opted for the Gig1 broadband speeds. Since the install (Yesterday), I have only once managed to achieve a speed at 500mb. The average is between 200-400 on WiFi and 100-200 on Ethernet.

Equipment I am using

I have tried this on numerous devices. I have tried Ethernet on a Lenovo Thinkpad X280 with a Thunderbolt 3 Gen 2 dock, both with 10/100/1000 ethernet. I have also tried ethernet on a 2020 Intel i5 MacBook Air with a 10/100/1000 usb c to ethernet connector. I have also tried wifi on the above, and an iPhone 12, and an iPad Pro 2.

What I have tried

For ethernet, I have tried numerous cables connected directly into the hub 4. I have tried cat5e, cat6 and cat7 cables, all give the same 100-200mb speeds. I have also tried 3 different ethernet usb c adapters.

I have tried the router in both router and modem mode, but no difference in speed. I have done a full pin hole reset, and also rebooted the router a number of times.

I have tried to use SamKnows Real Speed but this is not working? Screenshot 2021-07-15 at 15.22.11.png

I will post all the log details below also. I have also set up a BQM - 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/8cebecaa39bac10d5c063d03a974704c4a...

There is a chance I am being too hasty, and it will get better over time, but I am no where near the Gig1 speeds!

12 REPLIES 12

Thanks for coming back to me so quickly on this one 🙂

I have booked you in for the next available appointment. We cannot confirm the appointment time slot publicly, so to view this please sign in to My Virgin Media here: My VM

If the appointment is unsuitable or if anyone living at your property has tested positive for Coronavirus, has been asked to self-isolate or has flu-like symptoms then please reschedule the appointment on the same link. 

Lets us know how the appointment goes. 

Take care.

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Perfect thank you. 
mans great speed on the appointment, 24 hours is not bad to wait at all!

many thanks 

Hi BethAE, 

We do aim to please although it doesn't always happen as quickly as that 🙂 

Fingers crossed the engineer gets things sorted but if not, at least we know the foundations are sorted and we can then go from there 🙂

Pop back here and let us know how things are and in the meantime - enjoy the sunshine 🙂 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs