cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gig1 maximum speed with Hub 4

MrMusketUK
On our wavelength

Hi All,

I recently received a free volt upgrade to Gig1 and installed the replacement hub 4 yesterday (upgrade from hub 3).

I see that Gig1 is advertised as averaging 1130Mbps but the Asus XT8 mesh system I am using seems to max out at around 950Mbps which I believe is a limitation of the 1Gbps network ports on the Hub 4. Is there any way of requesting a swap to Hub 5 or will everyone on Gig1 be upgraded eventually?

EF55457A-CFCF-4B06-8CA0-CCD2A32738E3.jpeg

Thanks

Miles

----------------------------------------------
24 REPLIES 24

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hub 5 is by invite only and is still on trial.  You should read some of the Hub 5 posts and decide if you would even want one at this stage.  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

MrMusketUK
On our wavelength
Thanks,

Just had a quick look and it seems fairly stable in modem mode so I would be happy to give it a go as the XT8 has a 2.5Gbps WAN port….will just have to wait and see if I get an invite…

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You wont get an invite as you are on 1GB - and their Wifi Pods do not work on the Hub5 (its still on trial) so they dont want lots of GB customers complaining that their free Pods have stopped working. Although that is also true for customers on other packages that have Pods - but I suspect those have been mostly excluded from the invite.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

ricky43
Tuning in

I received my Hub 4 yesterday and installed it all.

I was on M600 before, but I’ve only EVER received a max on 300Mbps. I know, I should call support, but I dread talking to them. My local network is rather complex, but well built. And I always use the Hub I’m modem mode with an OpenWRT router and APs. (Long story short, it’s not my local network that’s the issue, I’ve tested every switch and cable)

anyway, I digress. I was extremely surprised when I found the Hub4 has 1Gb ports. It seems mental to upgrade people to ~1.1Gb internet and then bottleneck the ports.

I was going to upgrade my entire network to 2.5/5Gb switches but I won’t bother now 

@MrMusketUK wrote:
Just had a quick look and it seems fairly stable in modem mode so I would be happy to give it a go as the XT8 has a 2.5Gbps WAN port

And the LAN ports are 1Gb so you still get 940Mb by one device

---------------------------------------------------------------

@legacy1 wrote:

@MrMusketUK wrote:
Just had a quick look and it seems fairly stable in modem mode so I would be happy to give it a go as the XT8 has a 2.5Gbps WAN port

Unless you have a WiFi-6 device at a reasonable distance:

@ricky43 wrote:

I received my Hub 4 yesterday and installed it all.

I was on M600 before, but I’ve only EVER received a max on 300Mbps. I know, I should call support, but I dread talking to them. My local network is rather complex, but well built. And I always use the Hub I’m modem mode with an OpenWRT router and APs. (Long story short, it’s not my local network that’s the issue, I’ve tested every switch and cable)

anyway, I digress. I was extremely surprised when I found the Hub4 has 1Gb ports. It seems mental to upgrade people to ~1.1Gb internet and then bottleneck the ports.

I was going to upgrade my entire network to 2.5/5Gb switches but I won’t bother now 

It's designed for use across multiple devices, wired and wireless, concurrently.

@legacy1 wrote:

@MrMusketUK wrote:

I have quite a few devices with 802.11ax connectivity 

Yeah, I get it. But annoying as I use modem mode. So no matter how fast my internet is to the hub, I’ll never get above 1Gb. 

Feel like they cheaper out, they should have provided at least 1 2.5Gb+ port for people who don’t want to use WiFi