cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gig1 line errors

njhuz
Joining in

Hi there

Upgraded to Gig1 last week and although I am getting ~950Mb to the house and streaming and general internet usage is fine, gaming keeps freezing for about 5 seconds and then "skipping" to catch-up.

Gaming console is via ethernet connection and there have been no other changes to the internal network when upgrading to Hub4. The freezing issue has only happened since switching to the new hub/Gig1 service.

Having looked at the log on the Hub, I can see that I have 41 D/S DOCSIS 3.0 channels and 1 D/S DOCSIS 3.1. There are zero errors on the DOCSIS 3.0 but 1093524817 Correcteds on 3.1 and 996 Uncorrectables on the 3.1.

Should those errors worry me?

I've also done a Ping test via the Hub to 8.8.8.8 and on occasion one of the 4 packets is lost. Again, any reason for concern?

With many thanks to anyone on here for any help/advice

Neil

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Corrected errors aren’t an issue. Uncorrected errors are. You should setup a BQM to monitor the state of your circuit.  www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

22 REPLIES 22

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Corrected errors aren’t an issue. Uncorrected errors are. You should setup a BQM to monitor the state of your circuit.  www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Thanks Adduxi so much for replying 👍

Funnily enough I set up a BQM this morning with thinkbroadband in case that was the right thing to do, so we'll see what that says.

I've rebooted the hub too so the uncorrected error count is reset and (hopefully) to see if there were any issues as to whether a reboot might resolve them.

I'll post back here to update as there was definitely some 20%+ packet loss based on 3 hours of BQM results this morning - so something might be up.

Many thanks again

Neil

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi njhuz

Thanks for your post 

Glad its all been resolved 

If you need anything else at all please let us know 

Gareth_L

Hi Gareth

I didn't actually mean to close this one off as the BQM is showing some pretty huge latency spikes already. I'll give it a couple of days of statistics to see if it settles down, but it looks to me that there might be some sporadic issues.

No more uncorrectable errors so far though 🤞

Many thanks

Neil

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Please post the link to your shared BQM for comment. 

It's here:

Broadband Quality Monitor | thinkbroadband

Not sure it gives us too much yet - the big red blob from yesterday is when I rebooted the hub. There was a red patch earlier in the day which was nothing to do with me. Latency seems to have dropped overnight but I presume that's normal?

Many thanks again for taking a look

Neil

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@njhuz wrote:

It's here:

Broadband Quality Monitor | thinkbroadband<snip>

That's a fairly good BQM, so nothing to say really.  I would think your circuit is running fairly well at present.

Thanks Adduxi - seems to be continuing OK too in the last 24 hours - no major latency issues or outages.

Thanks again for getting involved.

Neil

Hi Neil,

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear about the issues you have been having with your connection.

Checking your account, I can see all is looking well with the Hub in terms of power levels, uptime and time outs. There is a fault open that is affecting you though. The details of that are here: 

• Fault reference number: F009443804
  • Estimated fix time: 18 NOV 2021 09:00
  • Description: Status report || You might find that your Virgin Fibre, Voice and Virgin TV services are intermittent, with the picture freezing or disappearing now and then. We are sorry and our engineers are working hard to resolve this for you.

I have made a note of this on your account so the relevant teams are aware you are affected. If there is anything else we can do, let us know. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs