cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gig1 issues - not getting speed - intermittent signal issues?

mickyf
Tuning in

I was upgraded to Gig1 over a week ago thanks to Volt. 

I was previously on 500 and was getting a steady 550. I'm now lucky to hit 700?

I ran the test via my virgin and on two occasions it said there are intermittent signal issues and 

Looks like there’s still an issue with your connection

We’re looking into it. Check back here after 23 hours and if there’s still an issue we’ll help you book an engineer.

So each time I go back after the mentioned time and it says it's ok, go back the next day and get this again?

What's the best way of dealing with this please if anyone can help?

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

mickyf
Tuning in

Does anyone recommend I call Virgin to try and get this resolved or wait and see yet again ?

Thanks

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
How are you testing speeds - on wifi or ethernet cable connections?

You can never get more than ~600 Mbps on a single wifi device - because the Hub4 is only wifi5 not wifi6.

You could get 2 wifi connections simultaneously on ~500 apiece (2x 500 = ~ 1GB)
on a single connection

Ethernet should max out at ~940 Mbps

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I'm testing on both, ethernet gives around 700 and wifi will also give me around that mark. I have my Hub 4 in router mode and use a netgear Nighthawk RAX200. But whats with the intermittent signal issues when I go on the virgin media test page ? Would a Hub 5 be better? Thank you.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You are on the 1GB service - they are not issuing Hub5's tp GB customers yet AIUI.

What do the official "issues" sites report?

As well as trying the “check service,”Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum)

Also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to postcode level.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hey @mickyf,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post.
I'm really sorry to hear of your connection issues, 

Having looked into this and been able to locate you on our system and can see that you have issues with your downstream power levels and this will need a technician visit to resolve this problem.

I can arrange the appointment from here but would need to confirm a few details via a private message, that I will drop over in a moment.
Please look out for the private message and we can get started.
Regards,
Steven_L