cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gig1/hub 4 question

Superphot
Dialled in

When I had 360 installed, the engineer fitted an attenuator to my Hub 3. A couple of weeks ago I upgraded to Gig1 and a Hub 4. On a wired connection I am not achieving the expected speed as per the VM table although well within minimum expected speed spec.  Wi-Fi performance is improved as hoped (once the three pods I have got their collective stuff together) and although the wired speed is at around 950Mbps download I have not achieved expected speed since upgrading. Would removing the attenuator be advised or help boos the speed to  that magical 1Gb? Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You are getting ~1GB on ethernet - so the connection and Hub is all good - leave the attenuator on.

You will never get anywhere near 1GB on wifi without using a wifi6 router - the Hub4 does not have wifi6. Someone more tech savvy can explain what you can expect - IIRC its about 650mbps

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

SonarUK
Rising star
we cant advise on anything untill you post your hub stats.

https://twitter.com/SeriousFamily

Gig1 | Hub 5 Modem Mode | Asus RT-AX86U | Asus RT-AC86U

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You are getting ~1GB on ethernet - so the connection and Hub is all good - leave the attenuator on.

You will never get anywhere near 1GB on wifi without using a wifi6 router - the Hub4 does not have wifi6. Someone more tech savvy can explain what you can expect - IIRC its about 650mbps

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

conman33158
Super solver

@Superphot wrote:

the wired speed is at around 950Mbps download I have not achieved expected speed since upgrading.

The maximum achievable speed is 940mb via Ethernet connection as this is all the Gigabyte ports will allow from the hub, so you're doing well getting 950mb 🙂

Virgin advertise a product that's 1gb but in reality its lower than that coming out the other side of the hub. If you run a test on https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/ you will see 1gb coming into the Hub 4.

***********************************************************************************************************************************
BT Full Fibre 900 FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U to Openreach ONT Box & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
My Broadband Ping - BT Full Fibre 900