New GIG1 install, the lines only got built into this area of the country a few weeks ago and I have been wired up for about 2 weeks or so.
So I had been noticing some weird issues where a youtube or twitch stream would buffer or cut out for a few seconds (something that should never happen on a gig connection). I also then played a game on the switch and had some lag spikes, another thing I never thought I would see again after moving from my old 30mb BT broadband connection.
But most of the time when I did an ookla speed test, it would be perfectly fine 14ms-16ms 900+Mbps. But occasionally (very rarely) it would instead throw out a ~350Mbps result... but another test would go back to normal. So at first I just thought the bad test happened cos something else was using the bandwidth at that time.
So I hunted out a test that actually did consistent automatic reporting, and came across this:
This picture is pretty consistent with what I would see. Mostly fine, but occasional very high spikes. I then set up my server to run 24 hours of consistent speed tests just to see if there were any trends. These tests were run every couple of minutes.
So I kept looking for a better test that may actually give me some info on what's wrong, and popped into this forum and saw the ThinkBroadband one that was being used, and immediately signed up, expecting to have to wait a couple days to get any kind of picture of what might be going on. I'll post up the link in here once I have it up and running properly, but as there does seem to be something very wrong with the speed consistency I thought I'd post up and see if anyone had any immediate advice for me to get started with!