cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gig1 fluctuating speed

Ralph1973
Tuning in

Hi all, Im in London (Area 21) on the Gig1 service.  I was getting good speeds of around 950mb until recently when my  hub rebooted all of a sudden and the speed dropped to around 95mb.  I called VM yesterday who did a reset at their end and the speeds improved over the course of the day and got to 924mb in the evening.  This morning though it is back to around 100mbs again.  Is this normal when a reset takes place and will the speeds stabilise eventually?  Many thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Sometimes a remote "kick" can fix a temporary problem, or this can be linked to an area fault that's fixed without you knowing about it, and if that's the case all is good.  However, I believe all that the remote kick is doing is causing the hub to seek out new frequencies for each of the 30 or so channels it is using to communicate with VM's network.  If the slow speed is caused by line noise, then the kick is probably only a temporary improvement, as the underlying fault (such as faulty joint or damaged cable) has not been fixed.

So do nothing now, if you see slow speeds again then come back here and post the hub's status data and we can take a look and advise on what that shows.  

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Sometimes a remote "kick" can fix a temporary problem, or this can be linked to an area fault that's fixed without you knowing about it, and if that's the case all is good.  However, I believe all that the remote kick is doing is causing the hub to seek out new frequencies for each of the 30 or so channels it is using to communicate with VM's network.  If the slow speed is caused by line noise, then the kick is probably only a temporary improvement, as the underlying fault (such as faulty joint or damaged cable) has not been fixed.

So do nothing now, if you see slow speeds again then come back here and post the hub's status data and we can take a look and advise on what that shows.  

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @Ralph1973,

Welcome back! Thanks for posting,

I am sorry for the fluctuating speeds you have been having recently.

I can see that @Andrew-G has helped you with this so far, do you still need help?

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi Hayley, yes I do please, I have just run a speedtest and the download speed is down to just 69.8mbps which is the lowest I have ever seen it.  The upload speed is fine at 54.4mbps.  Please can you further advise?

Thank you for your response @Ralph1973.

I have had a look into your account using your forum details and I can see there is currently an outage in your area that may be affecting your services. Our teams have been made aware of this and are working to resolve this. The current estimated fix time for this is 22 OCT 2021 15:00.

If the issues persist after this, please let us know and we will do our best to help.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Akua, many thanks for letting me know. Ive had a confirmation now that the issue is fixed but my download speed is still under 100mbps.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Download speed just under 100 Mb often means that the ethernet connection between the measuring device and the Hub has dropped from 1000Mb to 100Mb. 

Replace the ethernet cable with a good Cat6 or better cable.  Then check the ethernet link speed on the device.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Thanks everyone, I’ve managed to solve by changing the cables. Thanks again!

Hi @Ralph1973 thanks for coming back and coming back to us and confirming your issue is resolved.

Remember if you ever need assistance in the future, our fantastic community and forum team are always willing to lend a hand.

Regards

Lee_R