cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gig1 Slow Ethernet (half or worse)

mcons
Tuning in

Hi, we got an upgrade to Gig1 last week but we aren't getting Gig1 speeds.

Samknows reports speeds to the Super Hub 4 as perfect, in excess of 1000mbps but plugging in a device to ethernet (correct cable tested 5E and 2 different Cat6, 1gbps enabled on the NIC) it sits between 300 and 600mbps.

This was even worse when the hub was still in router mode. Since been switched to modem mode to use with Netgear router, but the fact of the matter is, ethernet connections are nowhere near 1gbps as I would expect.

We upgraded from 200mbps so could this be a power level issue? Barely getting double the speed. Speed tests zoom between 400 to 800 and then after the initial spike, lower down during the test closer to the 300/400 mbps mark. To be clear, this is ethernet.

13 REPLIES 13

Before I put the Super Hub 4 back in modem to use with my router....

mcons_0-1639041025469.png

On the test before I reached 1100 mbps on the "Speed to Virgin Media Hub 4" but every other run of the test came with a result of 800, in both cases, speed to the device was 300ish. For what it's worth, I managed 500mbps on speedtest.net ???

This is plugged in via cat 6 Ethernet - Unable to get the test to run over WiFi but I'll update if I can. Confident it's not the cable as I've tried 4 or 5 both cat 5e and cat 6.

I checked that 1gbps was enabled on the ethernet connection and explicitly set it to 1gbps Full Duplex mode.

In my previous reply, I stated "every other result was 800" - I mean one would result in 1000+ mbps to the SuperHub and then the next would result in 800ish mbps and so on.

Some additional data... the first 4 are via WiFi (from my router, but results are similar from the VM hub anyway) and the last 3 in the red are via Ethernet (sameish results across multiple cat 5e and cat 6 cables)

speedtests.png

Thank you for that information. I have been able to locate your account and taken a look at your levels and it does as though an engineer is required. 

What I will do is private message you so we can get this booked in.

^Martin

Thank you for chatting with me over private message mcons.

Please do let me know how the engineer visit goes. 

If you do need to amend this you can do via your online account: https://virg.in/myvmapp

^Martin