cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gig1 Hardware

Bawlk-1
Tuning in

Does the Virgin Media Hub 4 support multi-gigabit ethernet to allow you to get full speeds while in modem mode?   

losing close to 200Mbps from the advertised speeds if this isn't the case.

6 REPLIES 6

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Bawlk-1 wrote:

Does the Virgin Media Hub 4 support multi-gigabit ethernet to allow you to get full speeds while in modem mode?   

No only a handful would know how to set it up plus VM would not do the right hash so if you did a speed test from same IP you get under 1Gb and not a hash that does Src/Dest IP and TCP/UDP Port.

I for one don't think its a big deal VM should of said 900Mb ~ VM know only a handful have NIC faster then 1Gb its only the next hub after 4 that should have a faster NIC.

---------------------------------------------------------------

jem101
Superstar

@Bawlk-1 wrote:

losing close to 200Mbps from the advertised speeds if this isn't the case.

Yes you technically can, but it's a bit of a faff. Basically you need a switch with two or more gigabit ethernet ports and that supports round-robin link aggregation. The switch will also need a 10Gbit (or I suppose a 2.5 will do) port which connects to the WAN port on your own router, which naturally would need a 10 Gbit interface.

If you hunt around, there is a post somewhere with a link to an article about setting all this up and the equipment required, off the top of my head, I think it was a MikroTek switch and router which was used. 

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@jem101 wrote:

Yes you technically can... 

in modem mode too?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Round robin approach seems like too much effort for what it's worth. Shame it doesn't support 802.1AX or have a Multi-Gig port.

Hopefully next generation will have something, or if they open up wholesale they might have a modem capable.

@legacy1 wrote:

@jem101 wrote:

Yes you technically can... 

in modem mode too?

Yes, despite what is often quoted about 'in modem mode only one port works', that's not strictly speaking true - it's just not that easy to make use of more than one of them, and other than the case of the Gig 1 offering on the hub 4, there really is no point in trying to do so.

The hub 4 is a cheap consumer device which satisfies the speed needs of 99% of those who have it. In time, meaning several years from now, a better one will be made available.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection