cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gig 1 by VM using the Hub 4

Cmrobertson33
Dialled in

Hi

I am a Gig 1 customer with a Hub 4, was told by the engineer that the Hub 4 Wifi speeds only go up to 500mb and you would need to use an ethernet cable to get Gig 1 speeds.

Therefore, how can VM justify advertising the Gig 1 package when providing a router (Hub 4) which doesn't have the spec to carry those speeds? False advertisement?

7 REPLIES 7

risc19
Well-informed

1 gig over wifi is only possible with a high spec wifi6 router AND a wifi6 enabled device.

They are providing you a 1 gig service, however they could make it clearer IMO as you are not the first person to question this.

They are bringing out a hub5 that is in 'testing' right now, it is a wifi6 router. But its laced with bugs and shows no sign of being fixed.

Get your our own wifi6 router and put the hub4 in modem mode, remember the read the small print in future.

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Cmrobertson33,

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for your post. 

We do not guarantee WiFi speeds as numerous factors can cause performance issues however you will be able to achieve the subscribed service over a wired connection.

You can read more about our speeds here

Let me know if you have any further questions. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

carl_pearce
Community elder

@Cmrobertson33 wrote:

Hi

I am a Gig 1 customer with a Hub 4, was told by the engineer that the Hub 4 Wifi speeds only go up to 500mb and you would need to use an ethernet cable to get Gig 1 speeds.

Therefore, how can VM justify advertising the Gig 1 package when providing a router (Hub 4) which doesn't have the spec to carry those speeds? False advertisement?

No, it's designed to be shared across multiple devices concurrently.

@Ayisha_B wrote:

Hi @Cmrobertson33,

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for your post. 

We do not guarantee WiFi speeds as numerous factors can cause performance issues however you will be able to achieve the subscribed service over a wired connection.

You can read more about our speeds here

Let me know if you have any further questions. 

Technically not correct. Of the 1140Mbps available, the maximum speed to one device over ethernet on the HUB 4 is 940Mbps.

The HUB 5 would be able to supply full speed on the 2.5Gbps port, however the device would need to also have a 2.5Gbps port.

ozsat
Superstar

I'm on 1Gbps and use a Hub4 and get 940Mpbs from it.  The 1GB is the speed into the house and using multiple devices (wifi and/or wired) the total can reach 1Gbps.

@Cmrobertson33 wrote:

Hi

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

Thank you all for the answers. Understand what it provides to the house and also what it can provide over ethernet. However, can't plug your tablet or phone into an ethernet. My issue is, you cannot get 1gig over wifi using the Hub 4 and as previously stated you end up buying your own router and putting the Hub 4 in modem mode, that's the issue! Yes granted read the small print etc etc etc, but why provide a service with a hub 4 which doesn't have the capability of providing 1gig WIRELESS speeds around the home. 

@Cmrobertson33 wrote:

Thank you all for the answers. Understand what it provides to the house and also what it can provide over ethernet. However, can't plug your tablet or phone into an ethernet. My issue is, you cannot get 1gig over wifi using the Hub 4 and as previously stated you end up buying your own router and putting the Hub 4 in modem mode, that's the issue! Yes granted read the small print etc etc etc, but why provide a service with a hub 4 which doesn't have the capability of providing 1gig WIRELESS speeds around the home. 

Because it's designed to be shared across multiple devices concurrently, as stated in an earlier post.

No ISP guarantees full speed to one wireless device, never mind full speed across a whole home!