cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting through to a human regarding slow uploads

quintelligence
On our wavelength

Hi,

My download speed is as advertised, but upload speed is about half what it should be, even when wired. Have done various resets etc. but speed still the same.

Would like to speak to someone, or exchange an email or have a web-chat, but it seems almost impossible to do so. When I tried the phone number I went through a number of options before I was just told to powercycle the router and the call was dropped.

How do I get to raise the issue with someone at Virgin?

Steve

21 REPLIES 21

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
A VM person will respond here but it takes a few days - they let the community respond first. They are reluctant to replace a working Hub - which yours is - due to "shortages" (dont ask!). But as you are in modem mode they will want you to go to normal mode so they can look at how its performing.

Hub stats are a bit hard to follow as they are un-formatted text but as far as I can tell - everything looks spot on - nothing obviously wrong I can see.

That's a good router - except its blocking the pings 🙂

The BQM will be informative - make sure you change the ICMP echo requests (Pings) settings as soon as.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi quintelligence,

Thank you for reaching back out to us in our community and welcome back, we are sorry to hear you aren't getting your upload speed as expected, I have had a look at things our end and can see potential issues, I would like tor un further checks and possible arrange for a new Hub, so I can I will send you a invite into a private chat, please click on the purple envelope to accept?

Regards

Paul.

Thanks for checking John.

The pasted HTML looked fine until I tried to post and then the community software stripped it out.

Ping now unblocked and stats coming through.

I've also had an email from a someone at VM - so a win all around!

Cheers,

Steve

Keep us posted!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Hi quintelligence,

Thanks for joining me in a private chat and clearing security, I have run further check and as part of this I have now arranged a replacement Hub, this will arrive within 5 Working Days, if you have any further issues once received please let us know?

Regards

Paul.

Many thanks, Paul, and to others who have helped on this thread.

Hi Paul,

New router arrived, put into modem mode, and deployed. Speed test still much the same as it was before with 5Mbps upload speed:

It would appear that my latency is a bit higher than it was on the old modem, you can see where it cut over here:

Further suggestions welcome!

Many thanks,

Steve

Hi.

Please do a wired speedtest via Ethernet at speedtest.net with the hub in router mode on a PC/Laptop with only that device connected and we can go from there.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi John,

Thanks for coming back to me on this.

Now I'm back in router mode I have run diagnostics, and got this:

It's not clear what problems the router thinks it has though.

I've got a wired connection to the router, with a decent throughput:

Download speed on SpeedTest.net is brilliant, and with this configuration upload is exactly where it should be also:

I do need to use the router in modem mode though, so it's not clear to me why I don't get the same upload speed that way.

Is it possible that my Netgear router is slowing down uploads?

Steve

Can you post up the hub stats for both modes for a comparison!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7