cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Half Speed through ethernet connection

GFellows
Tuning in

I recently got a virgin hub 4 and the 1gig package. I'm getting around 500mbps through Wi-Fi which is fine because its not Wi-Fi 6. However I'm only getting around 550mbps from the wired ethernet connection.

I have tested with SamsKnows RealSpeed and the router is getting the full 1gbps but the connected PC only gets around half the speed @550mbps ish.

I am using cat 8 cable, which has a very high bandwidth.

I have checked that the ethernet adapter is in 1gbps mode.

I'm stumped as to why I'm only getting half the wired speed I should, any suggestions on something else to try? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

OK I think ive cracked it, I had an application called Killer Control Centre that was loaded on the PC since I bought it (was a premade system from overclockers.co.uk) It monitored apps, bandwidth etc. I deleted this app restarted my PC, did a speed test and got 945mbps.

So problem solved I hope!

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

ozsat
Superstar

If you have a Hub4 then use https://samknows.com/realspeed/

An active PC's own processing can slow the displayed speed - Firefox is especially bad I find.

The speed test I posted shows the speed into the house which should be about 1000. The right-hand speed will show your own internet speed.

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

Yeah I already used that tool, as I said I get the full speed to the router but only half to the PC

The PC speed is then the same (around 500mbps) with every speed test site I tried

Your PC is the issue then (or the lead being used).  You could a 'safe boot' to prove it is the pc as that option hardly loads anything on the PC. I'd expect it to be higher in that mode.

On a good spec PC using Ethenet you should be about 940Mpbs download.

Just did a safe mode boot and yeah was getting around 940mbps, so something is definitely bottlenecking my connection. I use bitdefender, could that be doing it? I cant think of anything else that would possibly be doing it 😞

Anti-virus can be a speed killer. About 940Mps is the limit for a single port.

@GFellows wrote:

Just did a safe mode boot and yeah was getting around 940mbps, so something is definitely bottlenecking my connection. I use bitdefender, could that be doing it? I cant think of anything else that would possibly be doing it 😞

Just an update for anyone finding this thread searching for fixes. I disabled and then enabled my network adapter through network connections screen in control panel. Did a speedtest on speedtest.net and got 904mbps.

So that seems to have fixed it, god knows what was wrong but I hope that helps someone with a similar problem to mine

*edit this was only a temporary fix turned out it was an app called killer control centre that was causing the problem

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If a Dell - disable SmartByte

Check this too - message 3

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Problems-With-New-1GB-Connection/m-p/5035946#M292495

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Its not a dell

I did a restart after disabling and re-enabling the network adapter and I'm getting around 640mbps, so something is still affecting the speed (and another adapter reset didn't seem to help this time) I give up for now, but if someone has a suggestion let me know.

Edit* Looked at post 3 of the topic you linked, it wasn't enabled but I enabled it then disabled it just to be sure. Did a speedtest and it was 938mbps. I'm guessing ill do a reset and it will be back to 600mbps. It almost seems at this point that anything that causes my network adapter to reset is interfering with whatever process is slowing my connection down. But it doesn't seem to persist on a restart.

Edit 2* Yup did a restart and the speed is back down to 600mbps

OK I think ive cracked it, I had an application called Killer Control Centre that was loaded on the PC since I bought it (was a premade system from overclockers.co.uk) It monitored apps, bandwidth etc. I deleted this app restarted my PC, did a speed test and got 945mbps.

So problem solved I hope!