cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting ~10% speed; lots of pre/post RS errors

rjpieke
Joining in

For the last few years I've had my SuperHub 2 in modem mode, and it's generally been great, giving me 100% of my package speed (100mbps down; 10mbps up).

In the last week, however, that's plummeted, pretty much to exactly 10% (i.e., 10mbps down; 1mbps up).

I couldn't figure out how to get any diagnostics from it in modem mode, so I switched it back to router mode. That's suddenly unlocked my upload speed (i.e., back up to 10mbps) but the download speed is still really suffering (~25mbps).

Now that I can get diagnostics, I also note that there are a *lot* of pre/post RS errors. If I refresh the page, I can see they're seemingly being generated in the thousands per second.

Soooo ...

1 - how do we fix this?

2 - why is router mode giving me very different speeds than modem mode?

Thanks!

Here's the situation after the system's been running for ~1hr.

Modem InitialisationStage Status
Downstream AcquisitionLocked
Primary Frequency162750000 Hz
DHCPDone
TFTPDone
Time Of Day14:40:33 BST
SecurityBPI+
Counters T1,T2,T3,T4,Sync,Resets000,000,001,000,000,000
Internet ConnectionIP Address Status
WAN IP Address82.26.68.128
Lease Time Remaining0 days 00h:40m:13s
ExpiryTue 5 Oct 15:20
Current Network TimeTue 05 Oct 14:40 BST
Downstream ChannelsLock Status Channel ID Frequency Modulation Rx Power RxMER Pre RS Errors Post RS Errors
Locked4162750000 Hz256 QAM2.4 dBmV 37.4 dB106058763
Locked1138750000 Hz256 QAM3.0 dBmV 30.5 dB29432852631850
Locked2146750000 Hz256 QAM3.5 dBmV 35.2 dB275654877915
Locked3154750000 Hz256 QAM3.3 dBmV 37.6 dB274871300
Locked5170750000 Hz256 QAM2.5 dBmV 37.1 dB289397355
Locked6178750000 Hz256 QAM3.0 dBmV 37.9 dB3250401096
Locked7186750000 Hz256 QAM2.4 dBmV 37.4 dB376329437
Locked8194750000 Hz256 QAM1.7 dBmV 37.6 dB1536971453

To reset the Pre and Post RS error counts please use the Downstream screen under the router status screen available from the login page.

Upstream ChannelsLock Status Channel ID Frequency Modulation Tx Power Mode Channel Bandwidth Symbol Rate
Locked1032600000 HzATDMA47.5 dBmV64QAM6400000 Hz5120 Ksym/sec
Locked1225800000 HzATDMA47.5 dBmV64QAM6400000 Hz5120 Ksym/sec
Locked846200000 HzATDMA49.3 dBmV64QAM6400000 Hz5120 Ksym/sec
Locked939400000 HzATDMA47.8 dBmV64QAM6400000 Hz5120 Ksym/sec
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi there @rjpieke 

Thank you so much for your updates and I am so sorry to see these issues are on going. 

Having checked things from our side it would be best to get an engineer back out to check this, I understand you have already had one recently but this is the best way for us to identify issues and a resolution for this. This appointment will also be with a senior engineer due to the close proximity to the last appointment. 

I will send you a message now to arrange this, please keep an eye out for the purple envelope in the top right corner of your screen alerting you to a new message. 

Thank you. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

22 REPLIES 22

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Looks like you have a noise ingress issue on down channel 1. Can you start from a blank page and try this....

Switch the Hub off and unplug it from the mains supply for five minutes. Whilst it's off, do a quick check that all of your coax cable connections are in nice and "finger" tight - at the Hub and wall box and also at any connectors etc. Ensure there are no “unterminated cable loose ends. Disconnect all the connections and reconnect to be sure. Also check that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing, check that all looks good with the outside cabling and wall box (no “staples, etc.,) piercing the cables.. Then switch the Hub back on and leave ~5 minutes

When all done, check back in the settings and ensure that the RS error counts and T3 errors have all reset to 0. Then check every hour or so to see if they start accumulating quickly - they shouldn't. A few are normal on a SH2 (mine are often around ~100 - but If they do accumulate rapidly (particularly the postRS ones) you have a problem (noise) that only a Tech visit will sort.

Also the SNR on channel 1 is only 30.5 dB - thats far too low - should be above 34 like the other 7 channels - it signifies noice is overwhelming signal - if that is still low you will need a Tech visit

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks John! I traced the cable from the modem to the street. No obvious kinks or damage. I disconnected and reconnected all the connections, and restarted.

The SNR for all downstream channels is now between 37.5 and 38.5, but I still accumulated several million RS errors overnight (both pre and post), and speedtest is still only reporting ~30-40mbps (instead of 100-110mbps in the past).

Historically when I've had slow connection days, they've mysteriously vanished on their own, but this one is more persistent. What's the path to a tech visit? The last time I tried calling the customer support line, it was a long and not very fruitful process.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
I will flag for VM to come and comment. In the meantime, can you try these things

Check first for “known network faults”

As well as trying the “check service,” Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum), also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to postcode level.

Then, if you haven’t already, set up a free, secure and “offlsite” - “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph” (as per instructions on the TB website) when it starts to develop.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks John. I tried to set up a BQM yesterday but it just shows 100% packet loss. Is there something on the SH2 I need to modify? I've (just now) tried turning off the firewall.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
(Google for your i.p address. Then check in the BQM settings that you have the i.p. address inputted correctly - because you will get different i.p. addresses in modem and router mode. Plus - VM do change them occassionly (mine changed recently for the first time in years).

If in modem mode the the setting will be in your own router's settings - "allow ICMP requests" or similar. Although I have an SH2 - I dont actually know if/where that setting is as it has never run in router mode 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

Ah, thanks. Buried in the Advanced settings there's a "Ping" page with:

WAN Ping Respond

Respond to ICMP echo requests sent to WAN IP  

I've now turned that on.

Hi @rjpieke,

Welcome back to our community forums and thank you for your first posts. 

Sorry to hear you are having issues with RS errors. I can understand this is not ideal and want to best help. I have had a look back end into your account and connection and I am unable to see anything that may have caused this. 

I am however glad to see @jbrennand has been assisting you regarding this. Since making the changes are you still getting these errors?

Please get back to us when you can.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Akua_A ... yes, the situation remains.

In this case, I have sent a private message to further look into this for you.

Please look out for the purple envelope and provide a response when you can.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs