Menu
Gary333
Dialled in
Message 11 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: GB coming 2019 OR 2021?

@happywithmy350 wrote:

Firstly is anyone else finding the forum is running like Treacle today? Or is it just me?

There have been many threads on this - some short and some long - some have had news articles - others have had news articles to contradict the other news articles. But is Virgin Media REALLY going to wait until 2021 and be 2.5 years behind BT on this?

I recently moved away from VM to a property that can get GB speeds - and whilst much more expensive it's worth it. But I just wondered what was going on? Several Media stories have said Docsis 3.1 will be "Ready soon" and GB speeds will be "Coming soon" is this the classic Virgin coming soon? 

Surely if others do what I did and VM start to lose customer- then they will start to see there IS a need for faster than the current? which is not bad by any stretch of the imagination and I was never unhappy with the speeds. I am currently using a remote connection on a VM line to type this - but BT are silently enabling exchanges and not all in places where you can't get VM either - so surely they should act in order to stop people from leaving? 

Any juicy inside hints from anyone? 🙂

How did you manage to cancel your business contract?

As hardly anyone buys the top tier I am sure virgin are happy to lose the people who decide to download the internet and aren’t worried about that crowd.

BT have loads of ECI gear, so no BT ain’t getting GB speeds to all either (even where FTTP exists).

Do you just like winging? Surely you have no need for more than 500mb either (or your 300 business line). 

0 Kudos
StormW4tch3r
Superfast
Message 12 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I'm currently trialing the GB speed in Southampton, over all seem good peak and non peak, but that's all i'm going to say regarding it.

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 13 of 18
Flag for a moderator

good until you have 3 million people using it at the same time

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 14 of 18
Flag for a moderator

3 million people looks a tad high...

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 15 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@Gary333 wrote:

@happywithmy350 wrote:

Firstly is anyone else finding the forum is running like Treacle today? Or is it just me?

There have been many threads on this - some short and some long - some have had news articles - others have had news articles to contradict the other news articles. But is Virgin Media REALLY going to wait until 2021 and be 2.5 years behind BT on this?

I recently moved away from VM to a property that can get GB speeds - and whilst much more expensive it's worth it. But I just wondered what was going on? Several Media stories have said Docsis 3.1 will be "Ready soon" and GB speeds will be "Coming soon" is this the classic Virgin coming soon? 

Surely if others do what I did and VM start to lose customer- then they will start to see there IS a need for faster than the current? which is not bad by any stretch of the imagination and I was never unhappy with the speeds. I am currently using a remote connection on a VM line to type this - but BT are silently enabling exchanges and not all in places where you can't get VM either - so surely they should act in order to stop people from leaving? 

Any juicy inside hints from anyone? 🙂

How did you manage to cancel your business contract?

As hardly anyone buys the top tier I am sure virgin are happy to lose the people who decide to download the internet and aren’t worried about that crowd.

BT have loads of ECI gear, so no BT ain’t getting GB speeds to all either (even where FTTP exists).

Do you just like winging? Surely you have no need for more than 500mb either (or your 300 business line). 

I didn't cancel it - it's staying with the commercial property that ti's attached to- simply change of company 

in my old area 34 people have it - and that's just in 2 post codes - so it's more than just "hardly anyone" Also on DIA I was paying for the option to download the internet and not worry about that crowd. That's the whole point of it - please do educate yourself before you type the next moronic remark.

BT are getting 990/216 to us - literally as of this morning. New ONT fitted and up and running - Nice little setup inside the house. and yes it's cheaper than the VM DIA Line - but not by much (although the install was only £600) 

I like to whinge - as does everyone - or are you now going to tell me everyone at VM Retention Department sits there all day reading books as no one calls to get a better price? Or is that not classed as Whinging to you?

How do you know what I did or didn't need? I had them both bonded together and whilst I have lost some upload I do actually need it - for reasons that are none of your business or anyone else's for that matter.

Did I adequately answer your condescending question? I sure hope so!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Gary333
Dialled in
Message 16 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Less than 2% of Virgin Media’s customers have the top tier (combined 350 & 500). 

You said you moved away from Virgin, then you say you were bonding the two lines, now apparently it’s another commercial property.

We are now to believe that you have a service that BT doesn’t even sell (directly). Go on, enlighten us, how did you get BT to sell you 1000/220 package? 

0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 17 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Well 2% is a lot of the overall figures.

I moved away from a commercial property which has VM and I had 551/36 (ish) and I sold it to another company and the 300/300 DIA was put in the price - they were happy to pay for it and I was happy to pay it up and transfer it to them. (rather than just trust someone else mid contract and risk my company's credit record, which is essential in Property!) And yes I was bonding the lines as a mix of res and business - I've lost some of the upload but also cut the cost by around 50%. a virtual house tour can be in excess of a 50GB file, especially in 4K so for me upload is the most important. In fact I just did one for a house in Oxford which was 78GB - this was for a client and not for a property I own. 

I never said I went to BT - I said BT 1000/220 was available and when I said they had connected us I meant the engineers had - for the ISP I went to Cerberus who connected it for £600 and charge £240 a month as per their pricing here 

https://www.cerberusnetworks.co.uk/connectivity-broadband/fttp-and-gfast#

Again, satisfied? 

0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 18 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Results from their website on the address. Whilst I don't feel I need to if I have to so a speedtest I will but I can tell you now its going to be 990/216 which is the current rate - I am very happy with that. Previous connection here was around 30/5 due to length from the cab which is at the other end of the town - the people living around that NGA can't get FTTP so I guess the previous owner hit the jackpot there - it certainly put the price up by a few thousand.

Cerberus FTTP:
Download* :
Upload* :Yes
Up to 1 Gbps
Up to 220 Mbps
Cerberus G.Fast:No
Cerberus FTTC:
Download* :
Upload* :Yes - New Order
24 Mbps
5.6 Mbps
Cerberus LLU FTTC: