Menu
VeetaG
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Fluctuating speeds and lagging devices

Hello everyone, 

I have been having some issues regarding speed and issues with some devices. 

I am on vivid 100mb broadband and at its best I get an average speed of over 100mb during the daytime. I have noticed for a while now that speeds will drop to below 40mb and stay that way until I reboot the router. This happens maybe once a week. 

Secondly, I have a fire TV device to stream TV shows and movies from the Internet. It is connected via ethernet cable. I experience frequent lag and freezing when trying to stream a show or movie, this always happens. 

Thirdly and not my area of expertise. My grandchildren are now complaining that online gaming "lags and freezes so much that gaming online is impossible." Again this is via ethernet. 

I have so far tried rebooting and restoring to default, my router and putting my router into modem mode with no improvement. 

I have been with virgin media for over a year and only started realising these issues when I cancelled my TV services at the end of my last contract. 

My son has recently wired our house with ethernet cat6 cables to eliminate WiFi issues where possible. We have run a test via the virgin media website that has detected no issues and no repairs in our area. 

Our power levels have dropped from SNR 40 to 34-36 since removing TV services. Today I had TV services reinstalled so I can use the catch up and record services since my firestick is unusable, but my power levels have remained the same (34-36 which according to a post on here is normal).

What other things can I do to find out what is causing this?

I have posted screenshots of my power levels in case I am missing something obvious. 

Thank you all for your patience. 

Veeta. Screenshot_20190503_194108.jpg

Screenshot_20190503_194043.jpg

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Fluctuating speeds and lagging devices

Looks alright TBF, chuck up a BQM

HERE

Run it for say 24 hrs, and post the result.

Have you run a speed-test, with ONE device connected via Ethernet and all other devices disconnected?

Got to say, I'm impressed. Not because "your a grandad and still know what you are doing", but more the CAT6 cabling and your post including what we need is a welcome change.

First guess is HUB3 is a "get you going" device and it sounds like your needs have changed as you've dropped TV and are streaming more?

But the BQM will tell us what's happening VM's side....

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi VeetaG,

Thank you for your post. I'm sorry to hear this about this. 

Are you still having this issue?

^Martin

0 Kudos
VeetaG
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Kippies. I will run a BQM

0 Kudos
VeetaG
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Martin, 

I've been away since my last Post and upon returning I have had the same issue this morning. I am running a BQM as helpful poster suggested and will report back. 

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you.

^Martin

0 Kudos