Menu
Highlighted
m4drums
Tuning in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Fed up with the lies!

Don't fall for any of the Virgin Media [REMOVED] that's going around at the moment regarding your WiFi speed!

The WiFi speed issues are as a result of their "Intelligent WiFi". I was connecting wirelessly before this "upgrade" at 275 MBPS plus. Now I get anything from 7.0-35.0 MBPS! 

They condemned my internal cabling (that's always been fine with no issues) so I told them to connect their hub directly to their incoming cable.

The engineer connected his test equipment to the cable "yeah, this has been your problem. The signal is A1 here at this end". Guess what? When he connected the hub I had the same problem but now with even slower speeds.  "Oh it must be the hub then"? VM changed the hub, exactly the same problem. They then told me I would have to purchase signal boosters. I did with EXACTLY the same speed issues. Fortunately I've been able to send the boosters back for credit.

The engineer has now escalated the problem to his manager. I've lodged an official complaint with VM but if they can't sort it I might as well go to Sky or BT!

Oh and they're using overseas call centres once again with a number of job losses in this country!

BBC news 3rd May 2018:

800 jobs cut as Virgin Media to shut Swansea call centre

Post Edit - Inappropriate Language

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate language removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

jbrennand
Hero
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Fed up with the lies!

Your "news" is almost 1 year old!
VM (and all other BB suppliers) do NOT "guarantee" wifi speeds - see the T&C conditions. You are paying for the bandwith delivered into your Hub. That means the speed is what you get on a gigabit enabled device connected to the Hub by cat5e/6a cable. So what is that for you?
Wifi and "intelligent wifi" is a different ball game. Its their effort to match the BT marketing push to guarantee wifi in every room - which isnt actually true - as the BT small print says they will charge you to do this but of course cannot guarantee it will be successful - if it isnt they wont charge you anything - hooray.
So... there are are loads of posts on here with folks struggling with it, and the "boosters", and there's lots of good advice from the superusers how to resolve it - just check a few of them and try some of the solutions and find one that works for you.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
m4drums
Tuning in
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately nothing seems to improve the once fabulous speeds delivered from this service prior to the "Intelligent WiFi rollout!

Yes I know the advertised speeds are not guaranteed (I used to build bespoke computers for film and sound studios, so I'm not IT illiterate either). Wired speed at the hub is below 200 MBPS too on "Vivid 350"!

I've tried several boosters, none have worked successfully. On their last visit in an attempt to sort out THEIR problems, the senior engineer told me it was a software issue at their end since the "Intelligent WiFi" had been rolled out and he too was getting mighty fed up with the complaints!

Oh you mention that there's loads of posts from folk struggling with it too?

So there isn't a problem!!!!

0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

There are always posts with people struggling with wifi speed issues, I haven't noticed more than usual since the 'intelligent wifi' update. Wifi is just one of those things, especially on low end devices like the ones ISPs provide.

If your wired speed is also unable to reach 350mbps your issue isn't (solely) with the wifi and you'll need to either post some network stats from the status page here and let someone chime in or a member of the forum team help, or call customer service.
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Hero
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

@DreamOfCheese wrote:
There are always posts with people struggling with wifi speed issues, I haven't noticed more than usual since the 'intelligent wifi' update.

319 posts on the one Samsung S7 thread Smiley Happy

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Hero
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

@m4drums wrote:

Wired speed at the hub is below 200 MBPS too on "Vivid 350"!

That's what you need to sort out first before the wifi. 

Just checking... is that with the Hub in modem mode and the pc booted into safe + networking mode and using a browser you haven't used before.  There are several reports on here where simply using a different browser restores "full speeds". 

If its still not getting 350+ then the issue needs VM attention.

--------------------
0 Kudos
m4drums
Tuning in
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

YES the issue is a VM issue, that's what I've been trying to tell you all!

Here's typical  speedtest results since VM have "changed" things?

Screenshot 2019-04-22 at 12.13.42.png

And this is what I was getting previously.

Screenshot 2019-04-22 at 12.16.09.png

0 Kudos
m4drums
Tuning in
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Here's the saga so far:

"Your speed issues are down to your internal cabling" They connect their hub directly to their incoming feed with exactly the same problem.

"It looks like the hub. They can get tired if they're rebooted a lot"! New hub supplied and fitted. Took an age to log on with their server. Basically the same problem with even slower WiFi speeds.

"Youll need to buy a booster. We could have given you one for FREE if you had all our services" Why do I need a booster when previously the WiFi speeds direct from the hub were incredible? We no longer have Tivo as again the service was dire, with pixelation on many channels. We tried Tivo several years ago and went back to Sky because of this problem. VM assured us that it was their issue previously and had now been rectified. Obviously not!

"To tell you the truth I'm fed up with all the complaints we're getting since the Intelligent WiFi rollout. You're not the only customer I'm currently dealing with that has this issue" . This was the response from the last engineer, who I have to say seemed the most professional engineer that's been out to investigate the issue. Signal at the VM incoming cable is stable and well in spec. Issues start as soon as hub takes over the broadband management. Obviously unlikely to be hardware as the hub's been changed.

0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

If you used to have TiVo and the picture quality was pixelated then your connection has had historical issues, as that'd be down to the connection too. None of this is due to the wifi. You're focusing on the wrong thing.

You could try posting your downstream, upstream, and network log here from the Hub 3 status page, that's accessible by going to http://192.168.0.1 and clicking "Check router status" below the password box, make sure to redact/obfuscate any visible MAC addresses in the network log before posting it.
0 Kudos
Mart280
Dialled in
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Funny thing is that's what I tried telling people on my post but one individual kept ranting on about the WIFI when that wasn't causing my issue which has now been resolved with a Hub 3 replacement, let's no be focusing on WIFI all the time if a member posts an issue and they say it's hardwired, let's just keep the focus on that, I would connect your PC or laptop directly into the Hub 3 run a speed test and then take a look at your stats on 192.168.0.1 just remember to delete your MAC information before posting, as I am sure you're having the same issues I did....