Menu
honey_bee
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Fault reporting frustration

The other day there was a problem with Broadband in my neighbourhood. A friend was totally without broadband, myself and other neighbours had a service but it was very slow, in my case with speeds of way less than a quarter of the Vivid 200 package I am paying for.

I phoned Virgin to report this fault and jumped through the usual hoops of switching the modem off and on again, which I had already done and made no difference at all. The advisor on the phone then suggested I turned off the WiFi on any connected devices and then checked the speed on the PC, which is connected by Ethernet cable to the Superhub 3. Hey presto back up to full speed! As soon as WiFi was switched back on, on my iPhone, the speed on the PC dropped back to a snails pace, less than 10 Mbps. To me this indicated a problem with the service provided as have always had good speeds with WiFi and the PC.  Even in the TV adverts for Virgin Broadband we are shown a family using a variety of devices to stream etc all over the house and all enjoying super fast speeds!!!

However the advisor said to get a good speed I had to turn WiFi OFF on my various other devices and as I was getting the correct speed then on my PC there was no fault! Smiley Mad

Hang on a minute .....

She would not accept that there was a problem. Her checks apparently showed everything was honkey dorey, when it plainly was not. How can you let Virgin know there is a problem when they say there isn't one, its like banging your head on a brick wall.

Thankfully today whatever was causing the restriction in bandwidth has been sorted in the mean time by Virgin as now both WiFi connected devices and PC are showing the expected fast speeds that I pay for.

I wish that there was a better way to report faults as its stressful enough when these things happen, without having to cope with the frankly nonsensical reasoning of the advisors in these foreign call centres

-------------
Vivid 200
SuperHub3
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Legend
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Fault reporting frustration

Unfortunately the CS offshore bods are not very technically clued up and and go from scripts. They can only really test the connection at the Hub and not your wifi performance and unfortunately if you say you are having slowdowns/problems on the wifi they default to the script that says "if the connection is good and its a wifi problem, the customer is suffering from external wifi interference, end the call as soon as possible. You will get more sensible/useful help and advice for diagnosing your specific problem and what needs to happen to resolve it, if you post details on here or in the Networking & WiFi forum.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
honey_bee
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Mmmmm but when things have been fine and then one day everything goes pear shaped and its not just me, other people nearby are having similar problems with Virgin, it has to be a Virgin issue and it needs to be reported and understood by the customer service bods wherever they are so that those that have the knowledge can fix the network. 

To my mind it is a failing to give this responsibility to people who rely on scripts rather than technical understanding and common sense.

Appreciate what you are saying and if I had a problem that only affected me that would be an option.

-------------
Vivid 200
SuperHub3
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Legend
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

A more clued up VM staff person will pick this thread up. They will let you know if there is a known fault on your line. but it can take up to a week tho' so keep checking back. Or try calling in at another time - morning between 8-9am is usually a good time and you may get a UK person.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
honey_bee
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks and noted regards the best time to call.

Everything is back to normal now and working fine for all of those who were affected so whatever was causing the problem has been fixed.

I just had to have a vent about the inadequacies of the fault reporting system and these off shore call centres who rely on scripts rather than common sense and technical know how.

-------------
Vivid 200
SuperHub3
0 Kudos