cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fast Channels and Slow Channels?

Eeeps
Well-informed

I'm experiencing significant peak time slowdown in my download speeds recently. I'm on the 600Mb/s configuration.

VMPeakSlowdown.jpg

This only started after a short power break in our local area (SK10 5xx). Prior to that I could get 600Mb/s+ at any time of the day or night.

Here's my issue/question.
My area/network segment seems to have 40 downstream channels allocated.
Before the outage my modem was locked to channels 1-24. Since the outage it's locked to 17-40 and no amount of power cycles / factory resets seem to change that.

So it would seem that in my area channels 1-16 have much lower utilisation than channels 25-40.
(Channels 17-24 seem to be utilised in both situations).

Is there any way to get moved back onto the 'good' channels?
For the conspiracy theorists amongst you, do VM actively manage the local network segments in this way?
Also, what is the maximum number of downstream channels that can be allocated to DOCSIS given the requirement for TV?

For completeness I'll post my modem stats in a follow-up

29 REPLIES 29

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Whilst I'm tempting fate by saying so, the BQM doesn't currently look like a classic over-utilisation problem.  If that assessment is correct it is at least a modestly good thing, since over-utilisation faults tend to be resolved on geological time scales.

However, following the discussion so far it does seem as though the problem may fall into the category of "too complicated for our shape sorter approach to customer service".  VM can and do fix these problems, but often it requires considerable persistence to overcome responses that all looks good from the VM side of things.  

From the modem logs the mac address of the CMTS I'm connected to is 00:01:5c:xx:xx:xx
This looks up as Cadant Inc.

My experience is that when we were on Motorola kit the BQM showed much more obvious over utilisation.

Being a conspiracy theorist I put this down to a deliberate QOS on the Cadent that prioritises ICMP-ECHO to make things look better than they are.
It has to get really bad before it starts to become obvious on the BQM.

Hi Eeeps

Thanks for posting.

My apologies for any broadband issues. I can confirm after checking, there is no congestion showing, all the levels are in spec and no other area issues reported.

Please could you do a PIN reset on your router for me and then monitor the connection for 72 hours after this?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

@John_GS wrote:

Hi Eeeps

Thanks for posting.

My apologies for any broadband issues. I can confirm after checking, there is no congestion showing, all the levels are in spec and no other area issues reported.

Please could you do a PIN reset on your router for me and then monitor the connection for 72 hours after this?

Kind regards,

Thanks for the reply, John.

I already did the factory reset on the 28th...

28/08/2021 08:00:43

notice

Unit has been restored to factory defaults from a software issued command;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

I'll do it again and monitor as you suggest. What speed test site is recommended for that? Would that be SamKnows?

As you say, all my stats seem to be in specification.
Out of interest how is utilisation monitored on these cable segments? The speed issues I see only occur between 17:00 and midnight.

Eeeps
Well-informed

I've factory reset the Hub3 and will now run a speed test every hour (SpeedTest.net) for the next week.

04/09/2021 12:40:36

notice

Unit has been restored to factory defaults from a software issued command;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

04/09/2021 12:38:3

notice

LAN login Success;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

04/09/2021 12:32:28

notice

Hello Eeeps

Thanks for the update 

How are things looking now?

Gareth_L

Just the same, I'm afraid.

623Mb/s at 19:11, 135Mb/s at 20:58 and back to 646Mb/s at 23:12

I'll monitor overnight but it looks like peak time congestion from here.

88ed6bca-8c73-4846-b738-6fb6ef3edc77

90466336-cbd9-460f-be71-2d07c734d63e

f0502e8f-0a7c-4226-8add-ec63fae75e36

Thank you for providing theses @Eeeps 

I just want to confirm are these speed tests from a wired or WiFi connection? Apologies if I've missed that information further up in the thread! 

Thank you. 

@Ashleigh_C wrote:

Thank you for providing theses @Eeeps 

I just want to confirm are these speed tests from a wired or WiFi connection? Apologies if I've missed that information further up in the thread! 

Thank you. 

Hi Ashleigh, the speed tests are via a wired connection to a i5 laptop.

Last night it was a little better.

dccdc26f-2ed2-4c86-b814-db2add49fb88

Overnight and during the day I get a reasonably steady 650Mb/s, it's only during the evening hours it drops.
As mentioned in my original post, my Hub3 was connected to channels 1-24 before a power outage and I could get the full speed at any time of day or night.

Thanks for coming back to us @Eeeps.

To answer your original question, there's not a way on this team that we can change your channels to help you bypass congestion sorry.  We'd be happy to take a look at your issue.

Regards

Lee_R