cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely slow wifi, despite good wired connection speed

SonnyD
Tuning in

My wired (Ethernet) connection is good, but all our WiFi devices are suffering from slowness.

I've rebooted the router, I've changed channels, etc, but no joy.

It's so annoying watching the smart tv telling us it's got connection problems.

I'm supposed to get 550 Mbps at home. But the wireless is no where near this.

10 REPLIES 10

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

what do you get on wifi - have you split the bands and turned off smart wifi - if not do that if that does not help then a full reset is next imo after that you are looking at better wifi equipment

Tony.
Sacked VIP

back in the beginning when we got the VM setup, I had no problems, but over the last few weeks the WIFI has been getting worse and worse.

I used to get speed test results on the WIFI, similar to the wired connection.

Now the wireless offers me a max of 50 Mbps, whilst the wired goes to 550 Mbps.

I checked all possible settings in the router, but cant seem to get the WIFI speed to increase.

being asked to a a full reset, sounds a bit over the top when we only had the connection for 3 months now.

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

if you are getting full wired speeds then there is nothing wrong with the input - the wifi on the hub is poor at the best of times - its a pound shop setup - other new wifi networks could be killing what the hub is trying to do with wifi

you have choices one of them is a full reset which i think VM will ask you to do as you have already tried reboots - if that helps then great but its likely to get worse again over time

other choices are a 3rd party router or mesh system or a new isp 

its unlikely to be the hub itself you are simply seeing how bad wifi can be on a poor quality hub

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Hey SonnyD,

There comes a time when you have to 'TELL' Virgin Media to send a technician round to solve your issues ... Not to just pop round, do some basic checks, then say they will be back.

With all due respect, you are purchasing a service from Virgin, in your opinion, that service is clearly woefully inadequate and unfit for purpose. Therefore they have an obligation to fix the problem and supply the best service, and if that isn't happening then they need to put some REAL effort into fixing the issue. 

If you bought a brand new car but it was missing the drivers' side door and the bloke in the showroom said it would be delivered next week, you wouldn't drive off the forecourt. The same applies to Virgin, it's THEIR obligation, not yours.

Steve

Utrinque Paratus

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@Steve1701 wrote:

Hey SonnyD,

There comes a time when you have to 'TELL' Virgin Media to send a technician round to solve your issues ... Not to just pop round, do some basic checks, then say they will be back.

With all due respect, you are purchasing a service from Virgin, in your opinion, that service is clearly woefully inadequate and unfit for purpose. Therefore they have an obligation to fix the problem and supply the best service, and if that isn't happening then they need to put some REAL effort into fixing the issue. 

If you bought a brand new car but it was missing the drivers' side door and the bloke in the showroom said it would be delivered next week, you wouldn't drive off the forecourt. The same applies to Virgin, it's THEIR obligation, not yours.

the problem is wifi - VM do not sell or guarantee wifi - if the speed and connection is good wired then what do you want VM to do - they supply/rent pods - but thats up to the OP to order and position - after that VM will walk away apart from a bit of advice - as to TELLING them to send a tech - good luck with that

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @SonnyD,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post your issues here on our community. 

I'm really sorry to hear of the issues that you're having, I have been able to locate your account and have ran some checks on your connection and in the local area, these have not found any issues.

Have you tried a pin hole reset of your hub as advised earlier in the thread?

Is this happening all the time or at certain times of the day such as after 5 in the afternoon?

Regards,

Steven_L

I've tried the pinhole router reset, but since then the issues have only gotten worse.

What are the chances of getting a HomeHub 4  instead of the 3?   I would hope that that might help resolve the issues with the wifi.   working from home whilst the wifi keeps dropping doesnt really work.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The Hub 4 is no better than the Hub 3 for wifi.  Have you done a wifi scan of your environment?  Maybe a neighbour has a new router and it's interfering with your signals?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Good Thinking.

I had used Wifi Analyzer to see if another WIFI network might be interfering. but on the channel we use there is only our router and the guest network.

one of the problems we have is that the wifi seems to disconnect and reconnect randomly.

reception of the wifi network in question in different rooms is no issue