cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely slow wi-fi

krispix
Joining in

This problem keeps occurring.  It gets 'fixed' and everything is fine for a few weeks then it starts up again.
The helpline blame everything except Virginmedia's equipment.
The last 48 hours have been dreadful.  0.19 Mb/s and the booster has disappeared!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
I assume they are the old boosters (Pods are from 2021) and you bought then from a VM high street store - that no longer exist - that will certainly confuse the offshore CS lot 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

ReactUK
On our wavelength

VM wifi is terrible, but is it just wireless? What does a hard wired item do.

Would 100% junk their wifi and shove your own kit in there, a £30 generic TPLink is better for your wifi needs.

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @krispix
Welcome to the community.
I'm sorry to hear you're currently having WiFi issues. I have checked the systems at our side and can see nothing that might be affecting your services. I have checked your area for issues also and nothing is showing out of specification. 

The boosters you mention, are these our Pods or 3rd party boosters? If they are 3rd party, you might need to repair them back to the router if they something had been rebooted or reset. We are also unable to support any 3rd party equipment. 

Are you able to test on a wired connection to see what speeds the router is receiving? 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

My neighbour's 16-year old has done some tinkering with the settings and I'm now getting very good speeds.  He tells me some changes were made around 2017 and my machine's settings needed to be updated, but I don't remember being told this by VM.  Maybe there's a communication issue? 
The Pods are Virgin's which I bought from a shop when this problem started (probably about 2017).  The helpdesk sound puzzled that I procured this way instead of direct from Virgin.  

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
I assume they are the old boosters (Pods are from 2021) and you bought then from a VM high street store - that no longer exist - that will certainly confuse the offshore CS lot 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

It doesn't seem to be very difficult to confuse the helpdesk.
Should I be considering switching the current boosters to pods? I'm getting about 59Mb/s which I'm happy with as long as it lasts.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
See this....

VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Ultimate Oomph or Volt packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you.
You do have to call in to order them (cant do it online) - or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you .

If not… you will be charged £5/month (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, but it isn’t the simple plug and play option of the Pod(s).

You would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) Powerline adapters (+/- inbuilt Wifi,) (5) A combination of (2,3,4).

--------------------
John
--------------------

Many thanks John,
I think your suggestion of a Wireless Router is probably the solution.  Independent reviews put VM's Router at the bottom of their recommendations.  That, in itself, may solve a lot of the problems. 

Jmb4577
Joining in

I have been having this issue for 12 months, I've spoken to the virgin media broadband team on a number of occasions. They are not helpful, refuse to send engineers out. When asking about new equipment they divert the conversation. Only ever ask you to reboot your router. I have 3 booster pods provided by virgin media themselves. They do nothing.

I've 6 months left on my contract and thank god for that because if as I've seen they are not prepared to investigate a proper solution I'll be off to another provider ASAP

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums @Jmb4577, and a very warm welcome to you!

Sorry to hear of the issues with the speed you've been experiencing in your home over Wi-Fi.

Can you please confirm what speeds you're getting, and of course what speed you're subscribing to?

Have you attempted to re-locate the Wi-Fi booster pods to see if this provides a better standard of services?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn