Menu
wally89
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Extremely slow broadband at peak hours in SE7

I have the VIVID 152 plan (broadband and vestigial line rental only). During the day I can reach 78 Mbps, which isn't great but I can live with it.

During evenings and weekends during peak hours the broadband slows to an absolute crawl. When I measured it yesterday at 22:47 using a regular broadband tester I achieved 1.9 Mbps. Latency (ping times) were similarly awful. 

In fact, performing the same test another time that same night I got 290 Kbps. That's less than 0.5% of the advertised speed and beginning to approach dial up modem territories.

My Superhub is configured in modem mode.

I used a wired ethernet connection for these tests.

Exactly the same hardware and setup was used for the 78 Mbps test as for the 290 Kbps test. The only difference was the time of day.

This suggests to me that the local exchange is oversubscribed. I have tried to reach out to Virgin Media support but their recommended support option, chat, has said all operators are busy the last 3 times I tried, whether at day or night. I guess their support is oversubscribed too.

What can I do?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Extremely slow broadband at peak hours in SE7

Hi wally89,

Welcome to the Community!

Really sorry to hear you're having trouble with your connection.

I've located your account and I can see an issue with the network in your area affecting speeds at peak times - Ref.(F003470470). Our technicians are working to get this resolved and have set a review date of 29th March.

I've also picked up an issue with your Downstream Power levels that will need to be adjusted by a technician. I've sent you a private message (purple envelope at the top right of your screen) so I can arrange an appointment.

Speak soon Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

wally89
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

The 29th of March has passed and the situation has not improved. I just ran a peak hour test and download bandwidth was less than 5 Mbit. Upload bandwidth was 10 Mbit which is normal.

Any updates on this? What did the engineers find in their review? How do we get this issue resolved?

(Since the quality drop is highly correlated with peak hours it'd seem there's still simply just not enough bandwidth provisioned to the neighbourhood at Virgin Media's connection point.)

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hello wally89,

Thanks for getting back to us, hope you're well Smiley Very Happy

Sorry to hear that the fault in your area is still on-going, I appreciate this is inconvenient.

I've checked the fault and I'm sorry to report it's still open and is being reviewed again on the 28th June.

Please accept my sincere apologies for this.

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos