cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely Slow Broadband

thrombanks
On our wavelength

Just noticed my Broadband is extremely slow around 3.8 mb/s at best. I am using a Hub3  and have switched it off and on, with no improvement and checked the cable connection. I usually get between 70-80  mb/s.    Any suggestions are welcome.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks everyone , problem solved.  It was a faulty CAT6 connector. All OK now 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Wired or wifi testing ?  VM do not guarantee any wifi speeds.  Test with a direct wired connection with a Cat 6a cable using a gigabit capable device.

Post the power levels and network log from the Hub and consider a BQM to monitor your circuit   www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

thrombanks
On our wavelength

Wired using CAT6 .  Cycled the router power and still getting slow speed, between 3 and 5 mbps

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @thrombanks 

Have you looked at Check service status at the top of the page? You can also a run a test on your equipment from there.

If nothing is showing  you could also try the  Service Status number  0800 561 0061.  This often gives details of more local issues down to postcode level.

I would also suggest trying a different ethernet port and different ethernet cable.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

OK, I have just a speed test on a laptop and that is showing me a download speed of 88.3mb/s and upload of 9.51mb/s  proving the problem is not with my Virgin router.  It maybe with my connection or my desktop PC. 

Thanks for all the suggestions but I'll look at my setup.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What package are you on? Speeds suggest the 100Mbps one. If you are on higher then first change the ethernet cable - they do fail. Then check in network settings that the Laptop's card is set to 1GB and not defaulted down to 100mbps. Also check drivers are up to date.

If still slow check this way....

If you expect >100Mbps then connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e/6a ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode” (https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ). This ensures that NO other devices are connected

Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot your device into Windows safe+networking mode - to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.

There are many posts on here (I have a list of ~30!) where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks everyone , problem solved.  It was a faulty CAT6 connector. All OK now