Menu
IDH
Tuning in
Message 21 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Re: Etherent speed slow

This post is to SCA1972 regarding his set up.....

My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router.

Hi Scott - I noticed the set up you have with a separate wifi router to Hub 3. May I ask why you have this configuration, what are the benefits? I am having problems generally with inconsistent BB speeds, and in addition my wifi connections in the house are not that great. I recognise that your set up won't help the first problem but it might help the second. What are your thoughts?

Cheers

0 Kudos
matt50
Tuning in
Message 22 of 29
Flag for a moderator

I have tried  everything today disconnecting everything still 45 mbps,Tried SCA 1972 idea in modem mode and the same result.

Bought a cat 6 cable as recommended by VM still the same 45.

After quite a lot of calls and trying everything with VM CS they are finally sending an engineer out tomorrow .

You would not think i have been a customer since NTL days the way they are on the phone,when you say there is something wrong and they tell you its a cable and you say its been fine until the last few months,they would believe you instead of doing the same things every time you phone up to complain !

One person at customer services even suggested i pay more for an Broadband  upgrade...

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 23 of 29
Flag for a moderator

@matt50 wrote:

I have tried  everything today disconnecting everything still 45 mbps,Tried SCA 1972 idea in modem mode and the same result.

Bought a cat 6 cable as recommended by VM still the same 45.

After quite a lot of calls and trying everything with VM CS they are finally sending an engineer out tomorrow .

You would not think i have been a customer since NTL days the way they are on the phone,when you say there is something wrong and they tell you its a cable and you say its been fine until the last few months,they would believe you instead of doing the same things every time you phone up to complain !

One person at customer services even suggested i pay more for an Broadband  upgrade...

Hopefully the engineer can get to the bottom of it, although if there is a fault that needs an engineer I'm surprised the tests run by @Ryan_N  or the other CS staff you dealt with didn't highlight the need for a visit much sooner.

Replied to @IDH request above via PM, just in case anybody thought I was ignoring him here.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
IDH
Tuning in
Message 24 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Scott very helpful pm as well. Cheers
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 25 of 29
Flag for a moderator

@matt50 How did go with the engineer visit?

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
matt50
Tuning in
Message 26 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Hi scott

All fixed engineer said the signal was to high,not exactly sure what that means.

He also changed the splitter on the coax cable saying it was really old.

We tested it on both my wired pcs and one was 220mbps the other 210 wi fi does vary between 50 and 150 depends how many using it.

As for cs telling me it was the cat 5 cable and I need to change them not the case at all.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 27 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Glad to hear it has been fixed.

The VM Hub's upstream and downstream channels have power levels that need to be within a particular range to work.  Too high or too low and you can get degraded performance (as you experienced) or in extreme cases a loss of service altogether.

Power levels outside of the recommended range SHOULD have been spotted much earlier by the CS staff you spoke to instead of blaming your Ethernet cable.

0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Knows their stuff
Message 28 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Post 15 reveals an IP address on the screencap.

My setup uses Poundworld Cat5 cables (5m for £1), which I've never had a problem with, apart from the alleged Henry Ford colour scheme.  Gutted when they closed and the competition doesn't sell them.Smiley Mad

Maybe someone who works at Poundland could suggest it to the folks upstairs.Smiley Wink

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 29 of 29
Flag for a moderator

@MrHalfAsleep wrote:

Post 15 reveals an IP address on the screencap.

Thanks for pointing that out, I missed it (along with the VM staff).  I have now rejected the image.

0 Kudos