Menu
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 11 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Re: Etherent speed slow

Is it possible you could run one here;(speedtest.net) and post a picture of the results Matt? 

Thank you Smiley Happy 

Ryan_N - Forum Team
0 Kudos
matt50
Tuning in
Message 12 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Not sure what you mean,sorry run it here ? 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 13 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Apologies It's; Click here

Thank you. 

Ryan_N - Forum Team
0 Kudos
matt50
Tuning in
Message 14 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Cant upload pic as it says there all to large but it was 45 again !

0 Kudos
matt50
Tuning in
Message 15 of 29
Flag for a moderator

20190204_205741-min.jpg

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 16 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Doesn't add up if you've disconnected all devices as it wouldn't give you the same speed, is everything definitely disconnected? 

Ryan_N - Forum Team
0 Kudos
matt50
Tuning in
Message 17 of 29
Flag for a moderator

maybe i did it wrong do i turn the router on with the cables unplugged ? when restarted put them back in ?  & have all wi fi turned off ? sorry

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 18 of 29
Flag for a moderator

@matt50 wrote:

Hi

I also have that problem paying for vivid 200 & only geting 45 at best on a wired connection,customer services say its because i need a cat 6 cable instead of cat 5e but its been ok for years ? and it will cause me hassle to change the cable.

Cat 5e is more than capable of handling a 200Mbps connection, I use a mix of Cat5e and Cat 6 and get my full 200Mbs, so CS are just fobbing you off with that one.  However it is possible for a cable to develop a fault and that can result in slower speeds, so testing with a different cable (5e or 6) is always worth a try to help narrow down the issue.

The best way to test your connection with a single Ethernet connected device is to use modem mode as in that mode only one wired device can be connected, so it rules out any slow down due to other devices.

Also check the drivers for your Ethernet card are up to date and have no reported issues.  I have seen in the past folks posting on here that wired speeds dropped and it turned out to be a dodgy driver slowing them down.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 19 of 29
Flag for a moderator

No need to be sorry Matt Smiley Happy If you can literally take out the Ethernet cable and on the devices connected to Wi-Fi take them off it also, so there is no connections running to the router and then run a test. 

Thank you. 

Ryan_N - Forum Team
0 Kudos
matt50
Tuning in
Message 20 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Thanks will try that tomorrow 

0 Kudos