cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download speed

Malc99
Tuning in

I was on the M100 package and my speeds were 40 (download) and 10 (upload), over WiFi.  Fine for my needs.

Virgin kindly put me on the M200 yesterday as part of the Volt upgrade.

Upload speeds are now double at 20 but download remains the same.

I am not really bothered too much about it because the upgrade was free, but will be wary of claimed speeds when paying for upgrades in the future.

I am aware speeds should be measured with a cable but they remain broadly the same too 

Any comments will be read with interest.

4 REPLIES 4

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Normally VM speeds are exactly as expected, so something is wrong.  Connect to the hub by clicking on this link http://192.168.0.1/  That should pull up the log in page for the hub.  But don't log in, just click on the link "Check router status"  That'll bring up a window with five tabs.  Open the Downstream tab.  Select all the text (Ctrl-A if using a keyboard), copy it (Ctrl-C), then paste it (Ctrl-V) into a reply here as TEXT not screenshots.  Post that, do the same for the Upstream and Network log.  You'll get an error message when you post the Network log, just click on "post" a second time.

Then we can check for any obvious problems with power, noise or error counts.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Also... what make/model of devices are you testing the wifi speeds on - and do you know if they are connecting on the 2.4 or 5 GHz bands?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for that, I will keep that tip for the future.

I have solved my problem by pinhole resetting the hub, as suggested by another contributor. Maybe this achieves the same as your suggestion.

My download speeds have now increased 4 fold, so I am happy.

From 45 to 170, and that is over a WiFi speed test.

Your getting a bit too technical for me now.

I just measured it using Ookla speed test app on my smartphone.

With hindsight my broadband must have been running slow for the last 4 years, but I never had any issues, being a small user.

My new download speed of nearly 200 is well above what Virgin guarantees so I am happy.

At least now I have more confidence in Virgins speed promises.

I will continue to measure speeds periodically.

Thanks again