cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download speed extremely slow… no help from Virgin via Phone, just been told to wait 48hrs. HELP!

gseb27
On our wavelength

I joined Virgin last week on the promise of amazing guaranteed speeds, but unfortunately the reality has been very poor. 

We’re paying for the M350 fibre broadband, but the speeds we’ve been getting are on average 21mbps download and it cuts out regularly.

I phoned the technician team and asked to speak to a supervisor, who astonishingly told me there’s nothing they can do and hung up on me as I was mid-sentence. 

Just looking for some help/advice as my experience with VirginMedia has been awful so far.

thanks 

30 REPLIES 30

lotharmat
Community elder
How are you testing speed? What happens with ethernet straight out of the hub!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

gseb27
On our wavelength

Hey Lotharmat,

I’ve used a number of connection speed & stability test, all of which have varying speeds. 

My devices are prompting me that ‘My network is slow’ and work calls are cutting out etc. So there’s clearly an error with the wifi. I’m sat 2 meters from the hub… 

My hub also has an orange light on it which seems a bit odd. 

I’ve done all resets, cable checks, used the Virgin connectivity app… all showing no improvement. On top of this, I was told I’d be getting a call back from a technician today and still nothing. 

Really disappointed so far.

Is it a hub 3? - There have been a glut of these this week!

Orange isn't generally accepted as a colour that appears on a Hub 3.

jem101
Superstar

@gseb27 wrote:

I joined Virgin last week on the promise of amazing guaranteed speeds, but unfortunately the reality has been very poor. 

We’re paying for the M350 fibre broadband, but the speeds we’ve been getting are on average 21mbps download and it cuts out regularly.

I phoned the technician team and asked to speak to a supervisor, who astonishingly told me there’s nothing they can do and hung up on me as I was mid-sentence. 

Just looking for some help/advice as my experience with VirginMedia has been awful so far.

thanks 

Unfortunately nothing is guaranteed, especially internet speed, who told you that, by the way? And you absolutely didn’t speak to anyone technical, rather someone working at an offshore call centre whose training consists of ‘can you work through the following list of questions and in the event of anything not on the list then quickly cut off the call and chalk up another ‘successful’ closed call’

OK moving on, let’s see what we can do, are your issues with WiFi connected devices or are you also seeing problems with anything connected to the VM hub via Ethernet cable? The reason I ask is that WiFi is vey much a ‘black art’ and we’ll need to know if this is a WiFi problem or something to do with the connectivity to the VM system?

gseb27
On our wavelength

It is a hub 3, yes. 

I’ve spoken with the technician just now who has recommended I reset all devices which will then default to use the 5ghz connection - hopefully this improves it…

gseb27
On our wavelength

Hey Jem,

thanks for the reply.

It’s affecting my wifi devices, mostly my laptop which is used for work calls etc. So very inconvenient when it cuts out or is slow.

The speed was down to 11mbps at its worst, but average over the last few days has been 22. I’ve now reset the laptop connection and am on the 5ghz, which seems to have improved the Speedtest score I’m getting, but who knows how long this will last and how stable it will be…

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

As you were asked on Wednesday, what speed do you get with a wired connection to the Hub? 

This is the only way to check whether the problem is with the broadband service or the WiFi coverage in your house, and the solutions are different. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

gseb27
On our wavelength

Wired connection seems to vary, but it’s usually above 100mbps. 120-150mbps seems to be the range.

Even if I’m say less than a metre from the hub, the Wifi connection is very inconsistent and slow at times.

I’ve spoken to the support team on the phone numerous times and they’ve said they’re calling back twice, haven’t received either call. I phoned them again yesterday to voice my frustration at this and they promised somebody would call me within 2 hours - nothing.

I can just about deal with the connection being inconsistent, but the customer service is abysmal. Am I the only one having these issues?

Can you post your Hub status and logs?
Someone should be spot if there is a problem
Navigate to http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode)
Don't log in!
Click on 'router status'
Copy/paste the data from each of the tabs. The forum software will remove the MAC addresses for you (you may need to click the 'post' button again).

Also, set up a 'Broadband Quality Monitor'. This will monitor the state of your connection and record any network dropouts etc - You can do this at ThinkBroadband (https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality)
Give it a while to gather data and then click 'Share Live graph' and paste the 'Direct Link' into the forum!