Menu
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 11 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Does 5 x Static IPs slow the connection or cause other issues?

@louis-m wrote:

I've got 5 statics using GRE on Voom 350.

Never hit 350mb. The most I've ever got was 250mb and normally down at 150mb - 200mb.

Upload however is a constant 20mb always.

It's because of the tunnel routing for static addresses, 250 was very good indeed, all of the stars must have aligned that day!

150-200 seems to be about the norm and would still be 3-4 times faster than the OP is getting from his BT connection, so probably worth going for it.

But as this is for a business, it's not a bad idea to have two independent internet feeds if you can afford it.

Clyde1
Joining in
Message 12 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

We have Voom500 with 5 static IPs, its never really gone over 380Mbps when you use fast.com as the speed tester, which outperforms every other speed test, which is strange, and that's the one VM suggest you use.

we were told by the VM engineer at install that if you have static IPs expect half the advertised speed, after a few months he was spot on.

most days its around 250Mbps, as mentioned here the IPs are delivered by a VPN tunnel apparently which stuffs the speed.

absolutely crazy, why cant VM sort this?
I may have to go to one VM IP and hope that's better?
we have a backup line of 80Mbps that has lots of statics, so may use that again for the statics / NATs.  

what a pain in the backside its been, and its not been very reliable either considering its a business service.

0 Kudos
ToffeeSurprise
Superfast
Message 13 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Doing static routing via a GRE tunnel is an awful solution. Any sort of routing via tunnels is best avoided unless needed for security or compatibility (e.g 6to4).

Might be a way of pushing to VMB DIA circuits though.

0 Kudos