cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Divergence between speed to Hub 4 and speed to device

ACGraylingforPM
Dialled in

We have recently moved to a Hub 4 and a Gig1 service. The service to the Hub is consistent with the advertised speeds - download always over 1Gbs. The service to a laptop using wireless varies hugely from about 200 mbps to around 500 mbps and seems to oscillate wildly within short periods of time. The number of devices being used is small, no more than one or two at any one time. No gaming. 

UHD programming via the V6 box also has significant intermittent judder and occasional loss of sound or vision. By contrast UHD programming streamed directly to the TV is perfect.

There was no similar divergence between speed to the previous Hub 3 and to devices.

Latency is around 9.0 for the Hub and 18.0 for the device.

Jitter is about 1 and 4 respectively.

Packet loss is negligible for both.

Any clues about what might be going on?

5 REPLIES 5

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Wifi speeds to a single device will never exceed ~600 as the Hub is wifi5 - you need a wifi6 router to get higher.

Actual speeds will depend on several factors such as what devices you are using, what band you are connected on (2.4 or 5 GHz), proximity to the Hub etc...

Is the V6 on wifi too? If so connect it on ethernet cable if you can.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks. Yes, I probably should have emphasised rather more that it was the wide variation in speeds to device for no apparent reason that was intriguing me. I am going to have a play with the bands and see if that makes any difference.

I did some more probing on the V6 box and there was a fault which has been corrected and it is now working properly. 

WiFi speeds will always vary, especially on a phone that is in a different place. Even someone moving around the room will make a difference. 

As long as you have an adequate signal there is no problem. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ACGraylingforPM wrote:

Thanks. Yes, I probably should have emphasised rather more that it was the wide variation in speeds to device for no apparent reason that was intriguing me. I am going to have a play with the bands and see if that makes any difference.  <snip>

You need to do a wifi survey on your property and manually set the best band and channel for each device.  Wifi performance is not guaranteed by VM as there are too many variables that can interfere with wifi.  Cabled connections, where possible, are always the best.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi @ACGraylingforPM

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

How are you getting on after trying any of the above tips?

We can guarantee a connection via wired but as stated about so many different variables apply when we're talking about WiFi - I'd try and keep as many devices as you can wired.

Glad to hear the TV issue is sorted!

Please do updated us

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs