cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diabolical broadband

Shahid1290
Joining in

Is anyone else experiencing issues with the broadband service?

I am an IT consultant who depends on the internet. This service has been so flakey that I have had to resort to tethering to my mobile via 4G.

I have had this broadband service for 12 months now and there hasn't been a single day when the internet hasn't died for no apparent reason or the router randomly resets itself.

I have spoke to the tech team countless time and they seem to he reading off some crib sheet asking the same question about connecting the computer directly using a network cable, It is rather frustrating.

I am now resorting to using 4G/5G all around the house, I just want to cancel this broadband but virgin are holding me to the contract term which I feel is totally unfair and the service is disgusting.

3 REPLIES 3

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

OK so can you answer the same question VM asked you - bearing in mind VM only guarantee connections on ethernet cable connected devices - not wifi ones.

So... are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you do a check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection related?

Different solutions to those two issues apply and we can thus focus on the most likley first

What Hub model is it and what are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

The router sits right next to my computer and it is connected with an ethernet cable.

I have even put the router into modem mode and used my own router and I am still facing the same issue.

I believe I have the hub 3 as it looks like the Hi-tron router that they use in businesses.

The router randomly just reboots itself, also randomly mu computer will say no Internet, seeing that I thought it may be my nic card so I replaced that along with the cable.

I have got so fed up with it I have got a 4G router and wired that into my pc, since then it has not lost connectivity which leads me to believe that the service that virgin provide is a bad of dog **bleep**.

Just looking at a way of leaving the contract early without being penalised 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Is it actually a Hitron? If so you are either on a Business package or live in the R.o.I.? If its a Hub3 it will be printed as such on the base sticker.

You have run the test I suggested and that shows its likely to be a newtwork connection issue. Lets see the connection data.

In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) - and hit return. On the first page up - dont login just click on the “router status” icon/text at bottom-middle (Hub3) of the Login page.

Then just copy/paste as the normal “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – 2 pages from the Downstream, 2 from the Upstream, & the Network Logs page. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button again. If character limits are “exceeded” - just do two posts

If you haven’t already, set up a free, secure and “offlsite” - “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph”. Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate. Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see. On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon) In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.