Menu
Lee221
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Diabolical Speed

The past several months  Area 07 (BS11) has been completely unstable. I pay for the "Superfibre70", to which I can not even stream something from the likes of Netflix, Now TV etc half the time. When the wife manages to watch something rubbish like Eastenders and I fire up the pc to play a game (and keep my sanity) it just grinds to an almighty halt and I get shot in the head several times by somone who is clearly using BT Fibre.

My EMP device is currently disconnected, my microwave is in the kitchen and not in use, my children do not omit radiation (despite living in Avonmouth) and the problem is on both wired and wireless connections before this gets questioned and blamed on the above.

I get excited when my phone pings to alert me that Mighty Car Mods (CHOPPED!!) have a new video on the you tube about their next stage in the build, I get sad when I can't watch it....

To pick myself up again after being let down by this company I have to disconnect from the wifi on my phone and use 4G to watch Marty and Moog squeeze a B16 into a Mini or go kebab hunting. Since when did a mobile phone receive better download/upload speeds than my wired internet????!!! 30Mb download and 8Mb upload Vs 2.93Mb D/L & 3.85 U/L.

Speed Test Link - example for my home broad band tonight.

I've called the online Tech team, to which they advise that there is work in the area to upgrade the service and this will be until the end of March, they credited my account (with a weeks discount for months of poor service - thanks btw)" 

However, speaking with other family and friends in the area this seems to be their standard response. I think I could guess how the call script goes:

Operator: Hi, welcome to VM, how can I help?

Caller: My broadband is slow

Operator: Wifi or Wired?

Caller: Wifi

Operator: Turn off your microwave and put your kids in the garden

Caller: Ok, done, no difference -  my wired is also bad

Operator: I've restarted your router, how is it now

Caller: still rubbish

Operator reading the get out of jail free script when they know they can't actually help: well we are carrying out upgrade works to the infrastructure in your area until the end of the month.

Caller: ok, but I'm paying for something I'm not getting? what can you do about it?

Operator: We will credit your account, sorry I can't help any further, please call back if you are still experiencing problems.

The problem I have is that short of trying a mobile Sim deal to run the BB in the house VM is the only one that currently offers Fibre to my area, which is why I went with them in the first place to the promise of super fast fibre BB.

I used to have Sky BB in the past, they were equally as bad for me (different property, across the pond in shirehampton). I avoided all the other competitors as they don't offer Fibre here. But if I still have an unusable internet connection on April 1st (how apt) I will be cancelling my subsription with VM and trying elsewhere as they clearly cannot cope with the amount of traffic on their network, or have a fault they are not willing to fix.

A stable 15-20Mb standard connection would be better than a 0.15-3Mb "Fibre" conection.

To quote VM Super Fibre 50 average download speed peak times 47.35Mbps.....also "We own the entire network to your home which means we can measure the reliability of your connection from beginning to end – including your Virgin Media Hub."

THEN WHY CAN YOU NOT FIX THE PROBLEM!!!!!!!

Lee221
Tuning in
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Diabolical Speed

FYI looks like years not months, Glennister has provided you with speed test results for the past 2 years, whilst others have had dates of fix/review promised and pass:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/BS11-speeds-over-last-2-years/m-p/3348355/thread-id/151158...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/BS11-Over-utilization-issue-AGAIN/m-p/3335198/highlight/t...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/BS11-Broadband-Is-Down/m-p/3300074/highlight/true#M143098

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/BS11-Issues/m-p/2463351/highlight/true#M1095480

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/BS11-broadband-unusable/m-p/2861442/highlight/true#M69092

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Speed-Problems-BS11-Area/m-p/2808509/highlight/tr...

"we are planning to undertake some upgrades in your area to increase bandwidth and performance during peak times, the upgrades are in the scheduling stage and is up for review on xx/xx/xx"

This is all I keep seeing on these posts or hearing from people after they've called you.....!!
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lee221,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

Sorry to read you are having an issue with your broadband connection.

I've managed to locate your account and noticed the high peak time traffic fault in your area that is causing slow speeds. The reference number is F004175882 and has a review date of 29th March. As this is a review date it can be subject to change.

Do you experience these slow speeds just during peak hours or can it be any time of the day?

I can see you are using the Super Hub in modem mode, are you using your own 3rd party router? If so, do you notice a difference if you were connected directly to the Super Hub?

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Lee221
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sam,

Thanks for your response.

Yes I am using the super hub in modem only, I have my own wireless router connected as the signal from the old super hub I have is too weak. I've gone through resetting the super hub back to factory and using this only, it makes no difference at all.

It is 'peak times', but this is anything from 5pm until 12am, which make the Internet completely unusable. It's unfair that this area has suffered from over subscription for this many years. You can see from others that this is the case (links above).

We all get the same story, fobbed off that we all have the same 'peak time error code', it's up for review etc etc etc.

The problem we all have is that nothing changes. The review comes and goes, people still have the same trouble.

Where do we go from here? What happens at this 'review'? Will we be contacted by VM to advise of the cause of the issue, as well as a solution and time frame for the fix?

As you can see from my comments in my previous post, I'm just about ready to leave VM as I have no faith in the service. I am paying for fibre broadband as it was sold to me as super fast fibre, quicker than adsl, but at the speeds I receive when I am home I cannot use it for its intended purpose.

I did not go with BT or any other competitor because they couldn't supply fibre to my area. However, I will quite happily switch to adsl and chance getting a 10-20mb consistent connection if I see that VM do not care for the service the provide to us.

I do appreciate its not your fault directly, apologies if I come across hostile, I'm just frustrated with VM.

I appreciate your time and help.

Lee
0 Kudos
Lee221
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lee221, 

Thanks for getting back in touch, I am sorry to see you have continued to have trouble with your connection. 

I have taken a look at fault ref F004175882 the current review date is 04/10/2017. I will pop you a PM to discuss this further. Keep an eye out for the Purple Envelope, top right hand corner. 

Additionally I can see your downstream power levels are a little high and the modem SNR a little low. It won't resolve the slow speed issue but it may make the connection more usable during peak hours if we get an engineer out to correct this for you. I will discuss this with you in the PM. 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
clifftaylor
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

4/10/2017 !! I laughed so much a bit of wee came out.
0 Kudos
Lee221
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Emma,

Thanks for your reply.

However, this is of no help to me. 

You advise that the fault reference F004175882 is up for review on the 4th October 2017!!!!!! what a joke that is. 

Glennister had the EXACT same response, he was told the same fault reference, with a date of 29/03/2017.

In this very post samantha_L advised me of the same fault reference, also stating that it was up for review on 29th March. Granted, she did state it was a 'review date and subject to change', but failed to respond to my three questions:

Where do we go from here? What happens at this 'review'? Will we be contacted by VM to advise of the cause of the issue, as well as a solution and time frame for the fix?

I appreciate you've offered to book an engineer in to fix a slight noise issue with the modem (he will probably attend with an attenuator say its fixed/improved), you and I know this will be a complete waste of your time, my time and the engineers time as this will not fix the slow speed issue (you also state this in your message).

The bottom line is that the problem clearly isn't going to be fixed, VM are doing nothing productive to fix the slow speed problems in BS11, they've over populated a line that can not cope with the demand.

We keep getting review dates given and pass with no resolution to the reoccurring problem, therefore in the words of Duncan Bannatyne and Deborah Meadon - "I'm out"

I'll be calling first thing in the morning to cancel VM's services.

Lee

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lee221, 

Thanks for getting back in touch. I am sorry to see that we have made you feel this way and you have continued to have trouble with your connection. 

These types of faults can be very complex to resolve and can involve digging up the streets to lay new cables, building new or extending Head-End Buildings adding new street furniture. 

This means that there is also a great deal of planning and permissions required. Which can involve local Councils, Gas, Water, Electric, Highways Agency, local businesses to name but a few, hence the long lead time. 

If you do want the team who deal with these types of issues to keep an eye on this issue for you please pop a reply to the PM I sent you the other day. 

Many thanks

Emma

0 Kudos