Menu
brianmarcel
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Default speed settings

My router keeps defaulting to 2G when I reboot my computer when I want it on 5G. How to change it?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Default speed settings

Your router broadcasts both 2.4GHz and 5GHz. It’s your device which decides which band to connect to, dependent on a number of factors.

If you have a Hub 3.0, you should make changes such that the Hub 3.0 has separate names for each band so your devices can explicitly connect to whichever one they want.

0 Kudos
brianmarcel
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Ernie. Sorry to be stupid how do I know if I have a hub 3 and how to name each band if I do? Thanks
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Go into the Hub3 settings... (type in http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.100.1 if in modem mode) into your web browser’s url box) and login with settings password on the Hub's base sticker (or your own if you changed it) and in "smart wifi" disable "channel optimisation" - save changes. Then, go to advanced>wireless>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's. Just change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - xxxxx2 & xxxxx5) -- use the same password if you like, Then, save/apply settings and restart the Hub. Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want to connect to individually from the "available networks" list on each device. 5 GHz is usually better and subject to less interference (and is better for iDevices ) than the 2.4 one - although this one has the better "range" and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

And here are pictures of the VM hubs so you can see what hub you have:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-how-to-set-up-your-hub

-----------------------

Superuser 18/19.
Use Kudos to say thanks
Tick an answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
brianmarcel
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Superstar first barrier it doesn't recognise the password on the router's base 'changeme' can't believe I changed it but I need to get in somehow. It is a super hub 2ac thanks
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi brianmarcel, 

If it's not recognising the password, you can try a PIN hole reset to reset your settings 🙂 

This link will then show you how to connect your 2ac to your PC - hope it helps. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@brianmarcel wrote:
Thanks Superstar first barrier it doesn't recognise the password on the router's base 'changeme' can't believe I changed it but I need to get in somehow. It is a super hub 2ac thanks

Ah, I misread the post - I thought for some reason you had a Hub3.  You dont need to rename them on a 2ac.  To reset the passwords do a pinhole reset to factory settings.  With the Hub "on" push in the pin on the back/side/bottom of the Hub with the end of a paperclip until you feel it at the “stop point” and hold for a "timed" 60 seconds do NOT restart the Hub after that.  Your passwords/passphrase for both the Hub settings  and Wifi networks should revert to the two printed on the Hub sticker on its base/side/card. 

If that doesnt sort it post back as its likely an issue on your computer.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.