cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decreased Wi-Fi Speeds

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I am hoping someone can advise. I've had the Hub 4/Gig1 fibre since January. Speeds to the Hub have always been consistent and well above 1gig. Wi-Fi speeds to my MacBook have always averaged around 700mb - until recently. Ethernet speeds have always exceeded 900mb.

Recently, Wi-Fi speeds to my devices and the same MacBook Pro have dropped to an average 450mb. Ethernet speeds continue to exceed 900mb.

Does anyone know what could have caused this drop? A profile bug, perhaps?

Resets and re-boots have not fixed the issue and nothing in my setup has changed. Whilst the speeds are still impressive, I'm just wondering what could be causing this drop which only affects Wi-Fi.

4 REPLIES 4

RedGooner
Super solver

Have you split your WIFI bands, ie the 2.4GHz and 5GHz range.

5GHz is faster, but does not cover as much area.

Make your SSID to have 2 names VMxxxxxx for 2.4GHz, and VMxxxxx_5G for the 5GHz.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 1Gbps VM service with SH4 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS GT-AX6000 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Your WiFi is fine speed over air is hazardous.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RedGooner wrote:

Have you split your WIFI bands, ie the 2.4GHz and 5GHz range.

5GHz is faster, but does not cover as much area.

Make your SSID to have 2 names VMxxxxxx for 2.4GHz, and VMxxxxx_5G for the 5GHz.

Thank you. I’ll give it a go 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to put it out there. Had my Hub 4 swapped today due to a separate issue. Wi-Fi speeds now a consistent 650MB, so there clearly was an issue with the previous Hub 4.