cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL speed issues with instability for 8 months

Qbert77
On our wavelength

Hi All,

I have spent a long time on a couple of occasions (probably 10hours+ on these occasions) trying to diagnose the issues on my oomph package, which I think is supposed to be 600Mb/s (looks like 700 from config); I don't even remember what it was supposed to be anymore, which says it all.

Unfortunately, I do feel as though I get fobbed off, and with my ADHD I simply have to give up as no one ever sorts it out.

I have seen that seemingly the forum community could be the right way to go, so I ask for your aid in trying to work out my speed issues.

Best engineer quote " I wouldn't worry about samknows realspeed, just use the speedtest.net one"

Modem only SH4 -> Opnsense i7 
When cabled directly into the gateway the engineers have seen for themselves that the connection is around 280, and can actually reduce over an extended test, so depending on which speed tests you run, those with longer downloads can actually dip to 220 - 180. Upload 43Mb/s Latency is 16 with around 2.5 jitter

Modem Status.png

modem config.png

downstream.png

3.1 downstream.png

My Broadband Ping - Thanks for all the fish
18 REPLIES 18

Qbert77
On our wavelength

Just noticed some random increased latency, that doesn't show on other days.

Here is the 15th:

15th BQM 

and Todays (16th) for future reference:

16th BQM 

Hi @Qbert77, thanks for your posts.

I appreciate your comments, if you could put your Hub into router mode and do another hardwired speed test when you have chance, that would be greatly appreciated.

Additionally, what is the model of the device you are using please? It must have a 1gb NIC (Network Interface Card) to be able to obtain speeds regularly of over 100mbps.

Many thanks

Tom_W

Qbert77
On our wavelength

Hi @Tom_W1

Yes, I will of course action your request; it will just have to be later tonight when work is finished 😉

I wished to supply you with the prior speed test figures with full transparency, especially as that should have been the best-case scenario test. I left the NIC model in the IPconfig screenshot, so you could see it was a 1GbE NIC Intel® Ethernet Connection I219-LM

The router is an i7 with a 1GbE Intel® Ethernet Controller I210 - Product Info, Docs, Support and... 
You should see that there was a change of address. The router is the same unit that was hitting the prior 500mb speed (network allowing, as the cab was waaay oversubscribed).

Yes, different networking cables have been tried 😉
Just out of curiosity, could you see those BQM's from 15th and today posted above? Whilst not over the shop all the time, I thought there was a heck of a lot of jitter spikes over the past two days?

Thanks,

Jon

Qbert77
On our wavelength

Hi @Tom_W1

As requested here are the 'redone' Speedtests with the SH4 in Router Mode.

Router_Mode.jpg

OOkla_SpeedtestJPG.jpg

SamKnows_ST.jpg

ThinkBB_ST.jpg

Thanks for your continued support 😊
Jon

Thank you for providing that, I am going to send you a PM so I can take some details to check this further.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Qbert77
On our wavelength

Hi @Nathan_B 

Dm'd as requested,

Thanks for taking a look at this, it is sincerely appreciated 😊

Hi @Qbert77 thanks for getting back to us.

I can see that you are indeed liaising directly with my colleague Nathan, so  we will leave you in his very capable hands.

Regards

Lee_R

Qbert77
On our wavelength

Thanks for checking back in @Lee_R .

Nice to know that you had the thought to see how things were progressing, even though you had no ticket passed to you and that it was passed to a different member of the team. 👍

Thank you, and all the best,
Jon

Qbert77
On our wavelength

TLDR:

Lots of noise on the line that no engineer or installer had bothered to check and we need a whole new run laid.

Long version

Engineer turned up, saw the issues and heard my thoughts with instability and my thoughts that it felt like the network stepping up hitting a point of errors, stepping down then rinse and repeat  (as per design). I asked to switch to the other SH3 here to check if it wasn't a port problem with the built-in switch on the SH4. I then demonstrated the same tests posted here.

After then confirming with his tester. He did a line quality test, saw a lot of noise on the line, so then we went back to the nearest ingress point and tested there to confirm the problem.