wired or wireless - always test wired

Tony
0 Kudos
dan78uk
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Crap speed

Translated to me this means: "surely it's the broadband but I'm saying its something else"

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

if you test wired and get full speed then there is no fault with the input - if then you get slow speeds via wifi you need to look at the reasons - VM sell speed to the modem and thats wired

if the speed is slow wired then thats a different matter and needs investigation from VM

Tony
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If you think that you have a BB speed problem, then to check the speeds coming in to your Hub properly, and they match what you should be getting, you need to do this first.
Make sure your device has a gigabit network card with up to date drivers. Use a new Cat6a ethernet cable to connect it to the Hub - which you have put into modem mode (to ensure only your device is connected). Then boot up your device into "safe mode" (to disable any software on it that could be limiting speeds) and run the test at speedtest.net on 2 different browsers one of which is a fresh download (e.g. Opera?).
Is that how you did yours ?

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
dan78uk
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

So are you saying that I need a gigabit network card to test 5mb/s download speed????

I know already if I'm doing this in 2 hours I will get full speed go explain me that

0 Kudos
Chris34731
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It annoys me when you are asked to test wired considering the last few years most devices support 5g wifi and give you the same speed as you get on an Ethernet cable I get 109mb on my mobile same as I get on the laptop wired last few days internet has been utter crap and i've beeen getting 15mb

All these issues have arised since greedy virgin bleedia have expanded it's network into non virgin areas but don't invest in it's network to handle such speeds and data and I know this because I was a virgin engineer for 6 years and when I had staff broadband the problems started when virgin installed the estate down the road. I was promised 40mb with sky fibre and that's what I got 99 percent of the time think I'll be going back to it soon may be not as fast in terms download speed but least it was reliable and worked

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Chris34731 wrote:

It annoys me when you are asked to test wired considering the last few years most devices support 5g wifi and give you the same speed as you get on an Ethernet cable I get 109mb on my mobile same as I get on the laptop wired last few days internet has been utter crap and i've beeen getting 15mb

All these issues have arised since greedy virgin bleedia have expanded it's network into non virgin areas but don't invest in it's network to handle such speeds and data and I know this because I was a virgin engineer for 6 years and when I had staff broadband the problems started when virgin installed the estate down the road. I was promised 40mb with sky fibre and that's what I got 99 percent of the time think I'll be going back to it soon may be not as fast in terms download speed but least it was reliable and worked

it may annoy you and in some cases what you say is correct but many still use older phones and tablets to test wifi - they are limited to about 40 down but users complain that they are not getting the full speed down on wifi when they are on speeds like 350

VM do not sell wifi - or thats what they say - they sell speed to the modem - to know if thats ok then the equipment used for testing has to be capable of using and showing that speed

you obviously know all that and have mobile devices capable of working at high speeds - many do not

so the gigabit lan - cat5e/cat6 and modem mode test is useful - it also helps to prove if the fault lies with VM or the user

not everyone is a tech savvy as you so its best to start with the lowest common denominator 

Tony