cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crap Broadband Service

corkiethecat
Tuning in

Ever since covid lockdown my broadband service has been terrible in area 31 (Cambridge), I'm paying for M200 but am just about managing 63MB download, and 1-2MB upload speeds whatever time of day I log on, I regularly used to get 180MB download and 20MB upload before this, and my daughter who is paying for M350 is getting slightly (but only slightly) better speeds too. We've tried contacting Virgin lots of times, left messages etc but get no response, apart from e-mail questionnaires from them which at the moment will get them a score of 0 on just about every count. Very frustrating. 

6 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

It almost seems like Virgin's network infrastructure is not built to cope with the rise in demand from a large number of people suddenly working from home - it just doesn't seem fit for purpose!

You're quite right. But why should they have been prepared for such an unexpected, abnormal event. The government weren't prepared for the pandemic, the NHS weren't prepared for it, the airlines weren't prepared for it. Why should Virgin Media, a private company, have had a better crystal ball to predict the future?  

Their network was designed for domestic use, not a huge increment of people using it for business.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi, corkiethecat,

thank you for your post 🙂

I am sorry you have been having issues with your services, I have done some remote checks and you are affected by a congestion outage the resolve date for this is 22nd of May the reference is F008006377 

Thanks,

Zoie

Hetty_R
Community Manager (Retired)

Ah I see, sorry! 

Just pop back on here and we can check again for you if needed 🙂 

Hope that helps! 

Thanks, 

Hetty

Hetty_R

Hetty_R

As gary_dexter has advised it is an estimate which means it could change, feel free to reach out to us and we can always provide any updates 🙂 

Thanks, 

Hetty_R

Hi Corkiethecat, 

Really sorry this is still an issue. 

I've had a look at the ticket and I can see that the estimated fix time has been moved to the 2nd July 2020, our team will do all they can to fix it before then. 

Emma_C - Forum Team

No worries, fingers crossed it's sorted sooner for you. 

Any other issues then let us know 🙂 

Emma_C - Forum Team

44 REPLIES 44

corkiethecat
Tuning in

Also this is what I wrote to Virgin a couple of weeks ago, but received no reply (this was for a previous slow speed problem BEFORE Covid) which was fixed in an instant once the engineer came out - AFTER suffering for weeks!!! Hi, my son is a gamer and in January the wired connection was really
slow and suffering from dropouts. An engineer told us that the area 31
cabinet was showing on his Red Tools
app that both upstream & downstream were out of range & he adjusted
Upstream Transmit Power to 45.8 (within 30-50 range) & Downstream Power
variable to between 1.2 & 2.9 (normal range is no lower than -5 and no
higher than 10) and that fixed the problem - & now it is back!!! Could
you please as a matter of urgency look into fixing this problem

There's no such thing as an Area 31 cabinet.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

The area codes are for billing not locality.  

What are you levels at now?

Copy/paste them back here. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

OK, didn't realise that, we're in Cambridge

We're in Cambridge. Just done a thinkbroadband speed test and getting 173Mbps download, but only 2.6Mbps upload and 5 minutes later just done one with broadbandspeedchecker and got 46.39 Mbps download and 2.69Mbps upload

Over a wired or wireless connection?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Wired

It's really annoying because my daughter who lives nearby and has a M350 service and myself who has a M200 service were getting really good download and upload speeds near to Virgin's claims just a few weeks ago, but since then it has been really bad, particularly on the upload speeds. It almost seems like Virgin's network infrastructure is not built to cope with the rise in demand from a large number of people suddenly working from home - it just doesn't seem fit for purpose! We really need a big refund from Virgin because we are not getting the service we are paying for, I've been a "Virgin" customer since the very beginning when it was Cambridge Cable, and then NTL .... maybe now is the time for us to have a look at Cambridge Fibre Networks who are laying Gigabit as we speak.

BTW I'm not just bashing Virgin for the sake of it, I am sympathetic to what Covid has done to the workforce and that's why I've been quite patient up to now. And I firmly believe in dealing directly with the supplier as the contract is between us, but I have come onto this forum (the last time I posted was in 2017) out of sheer frustration at not being able to get any answers / timescales for a fix etc out of Virgin!