cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could staff check my area/connection (I may be first to report so nothing official yet)

jhuk
Trouble shooter

Lot of work going on past few days outside, pavement surface lifted and water board doing work then resurfacing later and past two days I get 0.05Mb/s-20Mb/s, could also be the heat outside where cabinet is (you can see recent my post history I blew out and rebooted HUB4 and sat a 80mm fan bellow it).

Was on phone to CS just 5mins ago but I will get into that later.  🙄

25 REPLIES 25

"IF" VM02 actually supplied decent hardware then these issues would not occur, with all the money they make and kid me not, they do make a nice profit, putting a couple extra ££ in to quality routers, would save lots more £ down the line with reduced support costs, but like most American driven companies, short term profits is all they see !
------------------------------------------------
Gig1 Package
Hub v4 Modem Mode
Asus RT-AX86U
2.5G CAT 7 LAN
Windows Server 2022

My Broadband Ping - Wolfclaw-BBM1

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi jhuk, when checking on this today I can see the hub is still showing as out of spec - I understand you've declined one already - but if you'd like to go ahead with an engineer visit please let us know.

Tom

@Wolfclaw wrote:
"IF" VM02 actually supplied decent hardware then these issues would not occur, with all the money they make and kid me not, they do make a nice profit, putting a couple extra ££ in to quality routers, would save lots more £ down the line with reduced support costs, but like most American driven companies, short term profits is all they see !

OK - VM have 15.4 M fixed line premises in the UK

Let's assume - with economies of scale that they need to spend £50 per router more for them to be 'adequate'

That's £770M extra.

Let's now assume that 0.5% of all of VM's customers have router issues

That's 77,000 people who need a new hub at, being generous, £50 per hub that works out at £3.8M

Let's triple that for support costs - (probably less for pure hub issues as it seems from here that most issues are actually caused by infrastructure as opposed to hubs) and that's about £12M

I think they have done the maths!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

jhuk
Trouble shooter

And once again folks like magic as all the times before I was back to normal a few days later even with same heat/roadworks outside.

I did fit an attenuator as staff here told me one was needed (I could not find the 3db or 4.5db only 6db and 10db) so used the 6db but this put the levels outside specs and lost the single 3.1 channel (still got full speed), I think the 3db and 4.5db would have done the same by my calcs on levels at that time.

After 4 nights of my HUB rebooting itself at same time I decided VM are fixing this so removed the attenuator during that 4th reboot and all was well.

So much for the issue being inside my home and needing an engineer to come in and mess about (not going to happen ever).

Hi @jhuk thanks for getting back to us,

I am sorry to hear you're still having ongoing issues.  So to clarify your last comment, please can you confirm you're not prepared to accept a technician visit at all?

Regards

Lee_R

jhuk
Trouble shooter

FTLOG did you even read above?

My connection is 100% fine but I am sick of being told each time there is an issue in the area it is my end and I need and engineer (lost count how many over 25 years) but it is 3 times in recent years.

I try not to be "insert word here" but sometimes it would "try the patience of a saint".