Menu
KevinMc
Joining in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Continuing slow broadband speed in NG15 area

Do users know the continuing slow speeds in the NG15 area at peak times will not be improved until at the earliest 3rd May? The council is getting the blame for approving the work required to upgrade the cable I'm being told. I've been told that for the third time, 1st time in October 2016 again in January 2017 and now May 2017. Not happy as customer services are happy to sign off with the words can I help with anything else.

greyman
Superfast
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Continuing slow broadband speed in NG15 area

NG15?  Are you in Hucknall then and therefore under Ashfield District Council?

Edit: Either way, as the necessary works might not be that local to you, it might be worth asking VM which planning authority is allegedly causing the holdup and ideally getting a planning reference.  If they can't provide that information, then it would smell very much like a buck-passing excuse.

Yan1
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I am also in NG15 area and since Christmas the speeds have been terrible.

I always got a solid 200 - 212 down and 12 up and never had many issues speed wise until this Christmas just gone.

Tonight has been the worst it has ever been with a 1.7 mbs download and 1.2 mbs upload..... try playing BF1 with a 950 ping!

After 10 mins of running some tests my download is 11 mbs and upload goes to normal 12.12mbs and ping down to 12!

I checked my router signals and found my downstream channels are all negative https://gyazo.com/f3507a0835b33b94b5aea81b8195b6b9 upstream seems ok https://gyazo.com/e34bbb9a2cb19a7df5f44ddec907acb6

I really do not know what is happening but it definitely needs sorting considering i am paying (thats right VM i am paying YOU to supply ME a service YOU advertised) for a service i am not getting.

Hope someone can give us a truthful answer as to why VM has got so bad.

benjisoar
Tuning in
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Finally! I've found a thread talking about the exact same problem I'm STILL getting even after consistently being told it would be resolved by the end of May.

We're in June now and I'm only getting 50 down and a solid 20 up (I'm on the vivid gamer bundle so that should be 200 down - often or not I'm only getting between 5 and 10Mb down in the evening).

This is simply not acceptable. What's even more incredible is that Virgin are still happy to charge me the full price each month for this bundle so I have to phone every month to get a pathetic £5 - £10 knocked off my bill.

I'm really unsure what to do now. I'm fed up of calling 150 and being put on hold for 30 - 45 minutes only be told by someone reading from a script at the other end that they've "boosted the power to my modem and call back in an hour if I see no improvements" ... sure ... nice way to get rid of a customer from bothering you.

This has been going on for me since the end of February, what's also laughable is the broadband status check that continues to faithfully report that there are no problems in my area.

Think the only option now is for one last try at calling customer support, then it's back to copper wire for me, I'm tired of this poor service.

Ben

0 Kudos
benjisoar
Tuning in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Ha! Just got an automated message saying "You?re shooting through the ranks faster than a packet at 152Mb. Bravo!"

If only eh? Am currently experiencing download speeds of 2Mb rather than the 200Mb I'm paying for.

Thanks again Virgin >:/

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi benjisoar,

Thanks for getting in touch, I am sorry to see you have been having trouble with your connection. 

I have taken a look and it seems you are affected by fault ref F004175778 for slow speeds at peak times. 

The current review date is 26 JUL 2017, I will pop you a PM to discuss this further. 

There is not a way (I am aware of) of boosting the power to the modem from the call centre, so I am not 100% sure what you are being advised of there. Apologies for that. 

Keep an eye out for the Purple Envelope, top right hand corner. 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
alalx
Dialled in
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Warning

The review date given above is not a date for when the issue will be fixed, you are affected (like many others) by a problem that Virgin Media refuse to fix for years at a time. Move to a different ISP as soon as possible if you need to get a service which is as advertised because VM will not be providing that for a long time.

I am in a Virgin Over Utilised Area - F003320128 - Ongoing faulty unreliable service from Virgin Media since July 2015
0 Kudos
benjisoar
Tuning in
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi alalx, thanks for the warning and I'm already aware it's an "estimate".

The issue has been on going since Februrary for me. One "estimated" fix date was end of May which we've flown passed and now its end of July. If they don't meet that deadline Virgin can definitely "go do one". It's not far from robbery what they're doing, but they'll continue doing it and continue to get away with it I guess, so the only option is not to give them my money.

I don't even get why this "Over Utilised Area" fault code exists. Surely they know before hand what capacity they can cope with, but nope, another classic example of a sales department focussing on sales whilst the technical/engineering side of things just can't keep up and they don't communicate with each other or more importantly their existing customers. Utter shambles.

Sorry to hear you've been in this situation a hell of a lot longer than I have! Do they still try and charge you full rate each month? I have to phone each month to get money of my bill.

0 Kudos
benjisoar
Tuning in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Forgot to add that this Virgin Over Utilised Area - F003320128 means I'm paying for 200Mb and during peak times getting between 2 - 8Mb/s. Seriously. I could write the binary down on paper. Post it (second class) and still get a response quicker than this joke.
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi benjisoar, 

Thanks for keeping in touch, I have just popped a quick reply to your PM. 

Keep an eye out for the Purple Envelope, top right hand corner. 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos