cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contacting virgin support

spear
On our wavelength

I'm getting slow Internet speed on my LG TV. Tried wireless, ethernet cable and an usb adaptor over the past two weeks. Even with the adaptor I'm only getting 57 mbps, though this can vary. Check my pc and laptop and getting 500 mbps.

Been in touch with the retailer, Richer Sounds who tell me that it's probably a virgin broadband problem and suggest I contact virgin and ask for a check on the connection.

What is the best way for me to do this without hanging on the phone for hours?

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

WiFi speeds constantly vary, so you can't rely on always getting the theoretical maximum. Even someone walking around the room can reduce (or increase) the connection speeds to various devices there. 

The critical point is whether you have enough signal to maintain a solid TV picture and sound.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @spear,

Welcome back, thanks for posting.

I am sorry for the issues with your Wi-Fi, have you tried using our connect app? To help see where your having black spots within the home? It also gives tips on how to optimise your Wi-Fi.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

spear
On our wavelength

@Hayley_S wrote:

Hello @spear,

Welcome back, thanks for posting.

I am sorry for the issues with your Wi-Fi, have you tried using our connect app? To help see where your having black spots within the home? It also gives tips on how to optimise your Wi-Fi.

Many thanks,

Hi Hayey. Thanks for taking the trouble to reply.

Yes, I have used the connect app and the room in question (and others) is ‘Great’.

In addition to contacting the retailer, I contacted LG technical and explained the situation to them. They asked me to disconnect all devices, swap the Ethernet cable and do some tests. Before I could provide them with this information, they emailed me this morning and stated that the TV was not at fault because it is receiving Wi-Fi and suggested speaking to the internet provider. (beginning to feel like I'm going round in circles)

These are the tests that I conducted three in all, and repeated each test three times, with all other devices disconnected.

1. Test with Ethernet cable connected to TV:
    19Mbps. 35Mbps. 34Mbps.
  2. Test with the same Ethernet cable connected to the laptop:
    570Mbps. 590Mbps. 560Mbps.
  3. Test with TV with no cable (wireless):
    130Kbps. 48Mbps. 34Mbps.

As can be seen from the above there is a dramatic difference in results, between 19Mbps to 37 Mbps with Ethernet cable to the TV and when the same cable connected to my laptop at best almost 600 Mbps. These measurements are not shared with other devices as they have been disconnected.

As regards wireless, as low as 123Kbps and that’s with the router less than one metre away from the TV.

Thanks for getting back to us spear,

Had a look at things from our side and everything looks to be within the specifications we would expect.

If you're able to connect to your laptop fine, and without any issues using the same Ethernet cable, this does suggest that there are no problems with our network.

Have you ensured all other cables and connections to the TV are secure and tight?

Alex_Rm