cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contacting virgin support

spear
On our wavelength

I'm getting slow Internet speed on my LG TV. Tried wireless, ethernet cable and an usb adaptor over the past two weeks. Even with the adaptor I'm only getting 57 mbps, though this can vary. Check my pc and laptop and getting 500 mbps.

Been in touch with the retailer, Richer Sounds who tell me that it's probably a virgin broadband problem and suggest I contact virgin and ask for a check on the connection.

What is the best way for me to do this without hanging on the phone for hours?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for getting back to us spear,

Had a look at things from our side and everything looks to be within the specifications we would expect.

If you're able to connect to your laptop fine, and without any issues using the same Ethernet cable, this does suggest that there are no problems with our network.

Have you ensured all other cables and connections to the TV are secure and tight?

Alex_Rm

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@spear wrote:

I'm getting slow Internet speed on my LG TV. Tried wireless, ethernet cable and an usb adaptor over the past two weeks. Even with the adaptor I'm only getting 57 mbps, though this can vary. Check my pc and laptop and getting 500 mbps.

Been in touch with the retailer, Richer Sounds who tell me that it's probably a virgin broadband problem and suggest I contact virgin and ask for a check on the connection.

What is the best way for me to do this without hanging on the phone for hours?

Thanks

if you are getting 500 on other devices how can it be the connection - thats certainly stretching belief too far add to that you have tried different inputs to the TV so again that says the connection is not the problem - you can try a reset on the hub thats about all there is from VM's side -if that does nothing do some table thumping at Richer Sounds - imo they have just fobbed you off with it cannot possibly be their fault or their products fault or a setting on that product - lets just blame someone else - job sorted until it is not!

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Anonymous
Not applicable

What model is it? If it is an older one it might only be connecting to the 2.4 channel. If newer then it might be worth renaming your channels and connecting to the 5 mhz channel that way. 

spear
On our wavelength

Hi Tony thanks for your reply.

I totally agree with you, as I got the distinct impression that I was indeed being fobbed off. As you say, and as I said to him, why should there be a difference between two devices? He seemed adamant though that virgin was well known for being rubbish.

spear
On our wavelength

Hi. It's the LG OLED C1

spear
On our wavelength

"newer then it might be worth renaming your channels and connecting to the 5 mhz channel that way."

Thanks, but how would I do that?

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@spear wrote:

"newer then it might be worth renaming your channels and connecting to the 5 mhz channel that way."

Thanks, but how would I do that?

log into the hub 192.168.0.1 and then log into the ui password on bottom of hub - rename one wifi channel - that splits them you can then point the tv at either - cannot see it helping as you have tried a wired connection but stranger things have happened 

as to vm being rubbish - lets not mix up CS - which is with the product that is generally good

tell the guy at Richer that 3 fingers point back at him when he points one at VM

Tony.
Sacked VIP

spear
On our wavelength

Thanks Tony...appreciated 

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

I agree with all that's said above, but a connection at 57 Mbps is way more than you need for a TV connection.  How did this come to your notice?  Is there a fault with the picture display?  If so there might be another fault. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

spear
On our wavelength

@jpeg1 wrote:

I agree with all that's said above, but a connection at 57 Mbps is way more than you need for a TV connection.  How did this come to your notice?  Is there a fault with the picture display?  If so there might be another fault. 

Hi jpeg1

I was looking for information online for this particular TV, which I purchased two weeks ago, and came across a YouTube channel that gave a lot of good information. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIef8iRZhLE It talks there about the LG Ethernet port being limited to 100 Mbps which could be overcome by using a USB/Ethernet adaptor in the 2.0 USB port. I tried this and found it did indeed improve the speed but still did not achieve the 100 Mbps LG limit. In fact, it varies from between 40-80. This morning it was 57. My inquiry stemmed from that YouTube information.

As regards picture problems, cannot say that there are any other than the revolving ‘busy’ icon, which appears when I’m using the apps. That said the program that I was streaming last night (not 4K) went off three times, showing a blank screen for about 30 seconds each time. My inquiry is to do with why am I only getting these speeds given that I have a 500 Mbps internet speed, and if LG is limited to 100 why am I not getting at least that?

When I contacted the retailer this morning about it, he said the TV was not limited and was more likely to be a VM problem, which is how I came to open this thread.