cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection speed drops when connecting to work VPN

Marv2021
Tuning in

Hello

I am on Virgin's M200 package with a Hub 3.0 and my PC is hardwired to the Hub.

Speeds and connection are generally fine with little or no deviation from what i would expect. However, when i connect to my offices VPN to access my work domain my connection speed drops from around 200mb to roughly 8 - 12 mb! The speeds over Wi-Fi for other users in my household and not connected to my work VPN remain at 200 mb ish!

If i turn off the work VPN connection my speeds jump straight back to around the 200 mb plus mark.

My office has a leased 1gb line. My work colleagues, using other internet providers connect to the VPN fine with no loss in speed. I know one of my colleagues is also with Virgin and has the same hardwired connection set up as me. She lives in a different town from me (before people ask if it's the same area), she has the Virgin M500 package and experiences similar speed drops / throttling that i do. I assume that the speed throttling issue is to do with Virgins end rather than the office VPN.

Is anyone able to provide any insight into what the issue could be and how to fix or improve the connection speed?

Does Virgin Media throttle VPN connections? Speeds are fine when i am not connected to work!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

They are ignoring the elphant in the room. It is a Virgin issue. I can prove it. I still have my contract active with Talk talk with a separate router, and connecting the same VPN I don't get speed limitations. They won't aknowledge this, because it is a massive drawback.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

25 REPLIES 25

PaulBurge55
Tuning in

Connecting to a VPN will almost always reduce your speed as your traffic will be being routed via the VPN server.

Depending on the speed and number of users connected to your works VPN will determine your speed. I would suggest calling your IT department to see if there is something they can do their end

I doubt virgin will be throttling the speed.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I appreciate that there is likely to be a loss in speed when connected to a VPN,  but not to the extent that i am experiencing. My office IT support people also agree with this and think the issue is with the Virgin equipment.

The the speed i get when connected to my work VPN does not change significantly regardless of the time of day or number of users logged on at the same time as me.

As i said in my original post, my work colleagues with broadband from other service providers and not via Virgin are able to connect via to the office VPN with no noticeable loss in speed. I have seen one colleague speed test his line both on and off the VPN and he gets roughly the same speed (65mb) both times and he is with BT.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Go to https://www.speedtest.net/ before clicking go click single then go.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Screenshot 2021-01-26 085930.jpg

The top line is my speed test when i am NOT connected to my works VPN.

The bottom line is my speed test when i am connected to my works VPN.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
See if you get more speed in modem mode for the VPN.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hi

Sorry for the delayed response, been super busy and not had a chance to test your suggestion.

It turns out it's mot as easy to put the Hub 3.0 into Modem mode as i thought! 

I logged into the hub, selected the modem only radio button and then it goes through the reset process and you end up with a red / magenta light..............and nothing happens! It act's like it has locked up. A quick google on my phone (phone data as no WiFi at this point) and it seems you have to turn the hub off at this point and select 1 port only in the back of the hub to connect your ethernet cable too (i ran mine directly to my work PC with nothing else connected between my machine and the hub). Power the hub up (now set to modem mode as above) and wait for it to run through the normal start up. Once stabilised inernet is back up and running but when i run the speed test i get odd results......................

Top result is on the VPN connected to my office on a saturday (no one else is working today so i am the only person linking to the office at the moment)

Bottom result is my normal Virgin connection, NO VPN connection....................half my normal speed!

Screenshot 2021-01-29 150744.jpg

I will put the Hub 3.0 back into normal mode to see if the speed of the VPN picks up just to check there isn't a problem in the local area.

What do people think i should try now to explore why the VPN speed is so vastly different to what i get when i am not connected to the VPN?

With picture attached as Virgin didn't like the original i think!

Screenshot 2021-01-29 150744.jpg

Plutonium239
Tuning in

Hi,

I have noticed the same issue for exactly the same reason. I have contacted the technician who installed the cable. He said he would have come back to me, but then he replied saying that they don't cover this matter as technical support. Reading between the line I think that Virgin won't admit that they are throttling the VPN connection because that would cause a massive problem for them. I didn't have any issues with my previous provider and speeds were not changing much from the rated ones. However now from 380Mbps it goes down to 6-10 or 40-50 when VPN is on. I don't think this is acceptable. 

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @Marv2021,

Welcome back to the community page, thank you for posting on here.

I am sorry for the VPN connection issues with your internet.

Please can you tell me if you have tried connecting your work equipment to your wired connection for a more stable and reliable speed? WiFi is not a guaranteed speed but Wired is, please look here to see why. 

We would not want this to be a continuous issue for you, let me know.

Look forward to your response.

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide