cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer not receiving full speed from hub4

Jamiemilne
On our wavelength

Hi 

We got a hub 4 last week and I haven't seen speeds go above 945Mbps.

I tried https://samknows.com/realspeed/ today and it says that speed to the hub is 1136Mpbs which is what Virgin advertises. 

I purchased a CAT 8 ethernet cable which is for speeds up to 40Gbps to connect the hub 4 and the main pc. But still can't seem to get above the 945Mbps. 

Does anyone know why this is happening, it seems I am receiving the full speed from Virgin and have a cable capable of transferring that speed.

15 REPLIES 15

plynch66
On our wavelength

@Jamiemilne wrote:

Hi 

I tried https://samknows.com/realspeed/ today and it says that speed to the hub is 1136Mpbs which is what Virgin advertises. 

I purchased a CAT 8 ethernet cable which is for speeds up to 40Gbps to connect the hub 4 and the main pc. But still can't seem to get above the 945Mbps. 

Does anyone know why this is happening, it seems I am receiving the full speed from Virgin and have a cable capable of transferring that speed.

Hi,

Yes, your CAT8 ethernet cable may well be capable of speeds up to 40Gbps but the LAN interface on your Hub4 (and your PC I'm guessing) can't match those speeds. To find out what link speed your PCs network card is capable of you should do 2 things.

First, run this command in Powershell (Start | Run | Powershell) on your PC :

Get-NetAdapter -Name "Ethernet" | select LinkSpeed

My network interface is called 'Ethernet' but yours may have a different name. Just running Get-NetAdapter will list the name(s) of any network connections on your machine.

Then, when you've done that read this article which will explain why your !Gbps network card is only really capable of moving around 945Mbits of data per second :

https://samknows.com/blog/prove-your-1Gbps-speeds

Paul

@plynch66 wrote:

@Jamiemilne wrote:

Hi 

Hi,

Yes, your CAT8 ethernet cable may well be capable of speeds up to 40Gbps but the LAN interface on your Hub4 (and your PC I'm guessing) can't match those speeds. To find out what link speed your PCs network card is capable of you should do 2 things.

First, run this command in Powershell (Start | Run | Powershell) on your PC :

Get-NetAdapter -Name "Ethernet" | select LinkSpeed

My network interface is called 'Ethernet' but yours may have a different name. Just running Get-NetAdapter will list the name(s) of any network connections on your machine.

Then, when you've done that read this article which will explain why your !Gbps network card is only really capable of moving around 945Mbits of data per second :

https://samknows.com/blog/prove-your-1Gbps-speeds

Paul

Just running the command "Get-NetAdapter" will show all information for every adapter as in the example below. Mac addresses and user account have been removed for security 🙂

Screenshot 2022-05-19 160700.jpg

***********************************************************************************************************************************
BT Full Fibre 900 FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U to Openreach ONT Box & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
My Broadband Ping - BT Full Fibre 900

Yep as others have said the limitation is due to the Gigabit port on the Hub 4 and PC.

To get around it you either need some expensive(ish) hardware to combine two ethernet connections from new router to SH4 preferably in Modem Only mode (though it does work in router mode) and then at least 2.5Gb port on the new router and PC\device.  Then you can get speeds like this (upload was happening when running)

Or a Super Hub 5 with its native 2.5Gb port but they don't seem to be available to Gig1 customers yet afaik.

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Gig 1 (Modem Only Mode)

I checked the computer connected by ethernet directly to the hub and its link speed is 1Gbps so I'm probably getting the max I could possibly get at 945Mpbs

@Jamiemilne wrote:

I checked the computer connected by ethernet directly to the hub and its link speed is 1Gbps so I'm probably getting the max I could possibly get at 945Mpbs

Correct.

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Jamiemilne

Welcome back to the community!

Sorry to hear about your concern with your speeds. I can see that you have had a response from the community members already, who have correctly answered your queries. If you have any further questions or concerns, please let us know. We're here to help if needed.

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley