cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer not receiving full speed from hub4

Jamiemilne
On our wavelength

Hi 

We got a hub 4 last week and I haven't seen speeds go above 945Mbps.

I tried https://samknows.com/realspeed/ today and it says that speed to the hub is 1136Mpbs which is what Virgin advertises. 

I purchased a CAT 8 ethernet cable which is for speeds up to 40Gbps to connect the hub 4 and the main pc. But still can't seem to get above the 945Mbps. 

Does anyone know why this is happening, it seems I am receiving the full speed from Virgin and have a cable capable of transferring that speed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

It wouldn't matter is you had 5000mb coming into the Hub 4 as the throughput on the other end is via 1gb ports achieving a maximum speed of 940-945mb. Wi-fi 5 also limits the speed to around 400mb-550mb. If your getting 945mb via Ethernet connection then your getting the best possible speed 🙂

***********************************************************************************************************************************
BT Full Fibre 900 FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U to Openreach ONT Box & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
My Broadband Ping - BT Full Fibre 900

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

15 REPLIES 15

RavenLunatic
Tuning in

The hub 4 only supports 1Gb speeds via ethernet. To get the full speed you would need to run 2 downloads at once on different devices. 945Mbps is the max speed you will get from the Hub 4. This will change when the Hub5 comes out as it supports 2.5Gb.

T0rNaDo69
Dialled in

i am on 1gb and this is what i was on 200mb and what im now on 1gb. photo taken a  little while ago

DLUP Speeds.jpg

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Jamiemilne wrote:

I purchased a CAT 8 ethernet cable which is for speeds up to 40Gbps to connect the hub 4 and the main pc. But still can't seem to get above the 945Mbps. 

Why did VM give us 1Gb they should have set the limit to 900Mb.

---------------------------------------------------------------

so the hub 4 can receive speeds of 1136Mbps which the 'samknows' test stated but it can only output a max of 945Mbps to any ethernet connected device?

@Jamiemilne wrote:

so the hub 4 can receive speeds of 1136Mbps which the 'samknows' test stated but it can only output a max of 945Mbps to any ethernet connected device?

Correct. Well 1145Mbps to precise..

Hub 5 Modem Mode, Asus XT8
My Broadband Ping - Gig1 Modem Mode

is that because the hub 4 is a WiFi 5 device?

Are WiFi 5 routers only capable of a max of 945Mbps over ethernet or is it specific to the hub 4?

Also disappointed that when I called to activate the hub 4 I asked the guy on the phone if it was a max of 945Mbps and he said no it would take 24 hours for the upgrade to 1 gig fibre to take effect but it should climb to over 1000Mbps

The Hub 4 only has 1 Gig ports with overheads that's about 945Mbits.My old laptop can only do about 450 Mbits over Ethernet so you must have a decent PC. My new desktop does 945Mbits. WiFi 5 maxes out about 550Mbits. Which my iPad does. My Mesh is Wi-Fi 6 with Ethernet back haul does 920Mbits to a S21 Ultra.. 

Sorry its WiFi 5..

It wouldn't matter is you had 5000mb coming into the Hub 4 as the throughput on the other end is via 1gb ports achieving a maximum speed of 940-945mb. Wi-fi 5 also limits the speed to around 400mb-550mb. If your getting 945mb via Ethernet connection then your getting the best possible speed 🙂

BT Full Fibre 900 FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U to Openreach ONT Box & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
My Broadband Ping - BT Full Fibre 900