cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Complete loss of connection

keanie
On our wavelength

Hey Everyone

I had a notification of engineering works taking place in my area yesterday in the PO6 postcode which is in Area 20 and that my connection may go offline at various times during the day.

I was out all day yesterday and when I got home and checked my connection through the hub and on my BQM I found I had no dropouts or disconnects at all which is great.

The connection was running smoothly and at full speed all of yesterday evening until just after 2am this morning (according to my BQM) the connection dropped off completely.

The hub has a fast red flashing light on the top which remains after a power cycling, I am also not able to log into the routers setting console as it comes back with a no response error when attempting to log in to the webpage,

I have also checked the service status line that reports no faults but a test on the Virgin support site is showing the hub as unreachable and requires an engineer visit, I don't really want to book a visit if this could potentially be over running works in the area that were started overnight.

If anyone in the know on the forum of any of VMs guys can have a look to find out if there any any area faults not yet reported and let me know.

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Two places to check first

1) Try the “check service,”Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum)

2) Then also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to postcode level. These may not be listed on the Area Status web page (Areas are not “Geographic” they are billing areas) as that usually only covers faults affecting 1000’s of customers) so phone may give you more info, but even that wont cover problems affecting just a few customers - or just you.

Then you will have to call in and report the fault and see what they say

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

keanie
On our wavelength

Thanks, I have spoken to customer services, they aren't showing any area faults, so looks like it could be just me, I had the same issue happen around this time last year when engineering works took place.

I have an engineer visit booked for next Monday, which is a bit of a long wait considering I have no connection at all, but hey ho I am sure it will be sorted eventually.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Have you tried a factory reset to the Hub? 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

keanie
On our wavelength

I’ve factory reset the hub this evening and managed to get onto the web interface to look at the stats.

all I’m getting is an error message on the hub that states “No RF signal” so looks like it’ll be fixed by an engineer on Monday when they visit 

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Well that's progress of a sort I suppose 😉 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Hi @keanie

Thank you so much for updating us and I'm so sorry to hear these issues have continued! 

Are you able to let us know how things are looking after the appointment on Monday? 

Thanks again. 

keanie
On our wavelength

I managed to get the connection working again on Sunday but placing a 3db forward path attenuator onto the cable going into the hub, power levels were quite high even with the attenuator, but the connection at least worked.

The engineer visit on Monday went well, he adjusted the levels at the cabinet to get everything back in spec, he said that the engineering works that took place last week may have been the cause as a network reseg took place,  this can place alot of strain on the amp in the street cabinet, which is probably what caused my connection to drop off.