cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Channel Optimisation On or Off?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hub 4 has average Wi-Fi speeds of 460mb with optimisation on, and an average of 610mb with it off...

Can someone explain why there's such a difference and am I best to keep the setting off?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JOE-C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good afternoon,

Channel optimisation is always recommended to be kept turned on with our hubs. Even though you may receive a higher result via your speed test when it is disabled Channel optimisation does great work in the background. Keeping all of your devices connected with good speeds at the same time and generally provides a more stable connection long term.

Hope this helps. 

Thank You

Joe 

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

14 REPLIES 14

JOE-C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good afternoon,

Channel optimisation is always recommended to be kept turned on with our hubs. Even though you may receive a higher result via your speed test when it is disabled Channel optimisation does great work in the background. Keeping all of your devices connected with good speeds at the same time and generally provides a more stable connection long term.

Hope this helps. 

Thank You

Joe 

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the quick and helpful reply 🙂

In the interests of fairness and balance, I should point out that there's many people who think that the wifi from VM hubs is mediocre, the quality of the router firmware is shocking poor, the default settings aren't always optimal, and any automatic optimisation or "intelligent wifi" settings are a recipe for trouble. You can of course put your faith in the company and their pound shop hub, and if your needs are modest enough it will work adequately.  I've chosen instead to spend good money on a mesh wifi system which has worked faultlessly for a few years now, leaving VM's wifi as nothing but a bad memory.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply. I did notice the firmware hasn’t had any type of update since last December.

I find the WiFi range very good but actual WiFi speeds are very poor. With the BT SH2 I was getting almost 800mb over WiFi on their 900mb package.

Thanks for the advice. 

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I did notice the firmware hasn’t had any type of update since last December.

I find the WiFi range very good but actual WiFi speeds are very poor. With the BT SH2 I was getting almost 800mb over WiFi on their 900mb package.

Thanks for the advice. 

With your access to the BT service, why on EARTH did you change to Virginmedia?

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jpeg1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the advice. 

With your access to the BT service, why on EARTH did you change to Virginmedia?

🤣 I tested BT when they launched FTTH in the area but didn't keep it. I stayed with VM because of the value of the Oomph package. I still use the landline and watch a lot of TV so it works out well for me.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Interesting, thank you.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Have you tested your speeds with SamKnows?

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the advice. 

I don't believe you, Its not possible to get those speeds via wifi on a smart hub 2.