cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Certain websites just doesn't load, when speedtest shows 100% speed.

Hydroxyl
Joining in

Hi!

I've recently (Friday, 08/07/22) got message from Virgin that there will be some essential works in my area. Which is fine, obviously, if something needs to be done, it needs to be done.

Since yesterday, I have full internet access, I can play online games with full internet speed and latency about 20ms, I can check speedtest and it shows 100% speed as it should and same, with latency, 20ms.

But whenever I want to access Facebook, Youtube or Virgin Media site, it just loads, loads and gave me 404 code.

I've read a bit online and momentarly disabled firewall on my Virgin Hub and youtube started to work a bit so I can at least watch a bit of it. Facebook loads the website itself, but can't really send messages at all. Virgin Media still down for me.

I only use Virgin Hub 3, hard wired to my PC with cable that came with the hub. I also have 2 mobile phones and 1 laptop with wifi and it has the same issue.

I did restarted hub with holding the pin for 60s and brought it back to factory settings etc but still was the same. I never actually came across similar issue but I thought that it might be related to either firewall (that's why I disabled it and it kinda started to actually work) or DHCP.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Problems with Facebook, Youtube etc are usually the CDN server is available.  Try manually setting the DNS on your laptop to Google's DNS servers - 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4   

Also as a test, run the Hub in modem mode with the laptop as this will give a new WAN IP and may route the traffic a different way to Facebook.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Problems with Facebook, Youtube etc are usually the CDN server is available.  Try manually setting the DNS on your laptop to Google's DNS servers - 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4   

Also as a test, run the Hub in modem mode with the laptop as this will give a new WAN IP and may route the traffic a different way to Facebook.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Yup, DNS was the case. It works fine now, thank you!

Hello Hydroxyl,

Thanks for your first post and welcome to our Community.
Sorry to hear you are having an issue with DNS and Websites not loading.
Looks like the excellent advice given by @Adduxi has explained and fixed the issue for you.

Should you have any other questions or need any help in the future, please let us know.
Regards     
Gareth_L