cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you not get 1gb speeds on a HUB 3?

james1986123
Tuning in

I have upgraded my virgin media package today from the 500mb broadband to the 1gb service, I have a hub 3 at the moment, is that router not capable of getting 1gb speeds? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You need a hub 4 or 5 for 1gig 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You need a hub 4 or 5 for 1gig 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

No it isn't, but there should be a Hub 4 that's been scheduled for sending out.  

thank you appreciate the info

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@james1986123 wrote:

<snip>   is that router not capable of getting 1gb speeds? 

Yes, the router is capable of 1GB speeds to the Router.  RealSpeed - SamKnows

The SamKnows built in test will show the speed into the Router from VM's broadband circuit.

EDIT - D'oh, only noticed reference to Hub 3 .....

thank you appreciate it, I have one coming on Friday. is it because a hub 4 has gigabit ethernet ports and the hub 3 doesn't? and am i correct in thinking at cat5e is needed for speeds up to 1gb and anything over 1gb cat6. also do you advise getting ethernet cables that don't come with the hub itself for better performance or will the one that comes with the hub 4 be fine?

dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Should be fine but run a speed test to make sure, the ports on a hub 4 are 1 gig so the max you will get is 970ish

Okay thanks very much @dannylau I will make sure to run a speed test when I install the new hub on friday 

Hi james1986123

Let us know the outcome of the tests once you've installed the Hub, maybe worth using SamKnows to run the tests.

Rob