cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband

steveanniss1
Joining in

I currently pay for 500Mb broadband and an receiving less than 70Mb. The VM line test reports there are no issues.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Your device may be using the "intelligent wifi" feature and be connecting on the 2.4GHz wifi band as the signal is "stronger" - but which will always be that slow - rather than the faster 5GHz one.

Separate the 2 frequency SSID's in the Hub settings and than connect to them individually and do a speed test

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Is that over wifi or an ethernet cable connection?

If wifi test it on a Cat5e/6a ethernat cable. If on ethernet - swap the cable for a new Cat6a one.

Also, what make/model of device are you testing it on ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Admittedly, I'm on WIFI but ordinarily my speed via this source is around 530 Mb.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Your device may be using the "intelligent wifi" feature and be connecting on the 2.4GHz wifi band as the signal is "stronger" - but which will always be that slow - rather than the faster 5GHz one.

Separate the 2 frequency SSID's in the Hub settings and than connect to them individually and do a speed test

--------------------
John
--------------------

Keezza
On our wavelength
Yeah band steering always sucks. I can't get around it at work, really.annoying. Band steering isn\t even part of the 802.11x spec haha!