Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband

DR1999
Tuning in

FB549057-2662-4CFC-AB17-011AC5F3BEFF.png

F4076B1A-73D8-4A08-B288-B8EA9E101171.png

 hello, ive recently purchased the M500 upgrade and my speeds have all ready degraded way lower than the guaranteed minimum… im so shocked on how this could of happened in the space of a couple hours, does anyone know why this could be? I feel as if ive already been scammed by virgin, ive checked the status in my area and everything seems to be ok, the speeds are degrading to even 20Mbps aswell, everything is connected correctly and ive reset the hub a fair few times. The first test will go to 500Mbps but after i try a second time it instantly slugs between 20Mbps and 70Mbps, am i doing something wrong? 

5 REPLIES 5

DR1999
Tuning in

A5751203-3952-437E-860C-CB0281B75DE6.png

Another  speed test done and its still tanking hard.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Cant tell.... are the speedtests done over wifi or ethernet cable connections? If wif can you try ethernet and see what that gets

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Yes all speed tests are done over wifi as i haven't got an ethernet long enough to connect my pc. Ive ordered one through amazon prime which should be arriving today, once its set up should i re-do the speed tests? Truthfully i didn't realise an ethernet cable would be as good as they said online… this is my mistake, hopefully it sorts the problem out for me. I purchased a Cat7 cable and plan on running it outside and back through the attic into my bedroom.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
That is always the best option 🙂

Did you get exterior grade cable (UV & weather resistant)?

Also getting "unterminated" cable allows you to pass it through much smaller holes rather that the ~15mm hole needed for cables with connectors on. You can get a connector fitting kit off eBay for about a tenner with full instructions, testing device, lots of connectors (to have a practice!) and links to Youtube videos.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hello after installing my ethernet cable im getting my 525Mbps! Thank you for replying and helping me out, yes the cable i got was weather resistant to UV rays and rain, really do appreciate you replying and helping me out 🙂